Adams Bass Trombones

Jbeckett

Adams Bass Trombones

Post by Jbeckett »

Has anyone had at length experience playing one? Thoughts?
Burgerbob

Re: Adams Bass Trombones

Post by Burgerbob »

I played a prototype at NAMM 2020. I thought it was well made (like all of their horns), but didn't blow me away. Played fine but it had a large bell, and seemed Edwards sized in the tuning slide. Obviously not a great setting to figure out a new horn, but there were many other basses that made big impressions on me at the show.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

Bach’s still have your vote?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Jbeckett wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:45 pm Bach’s still have your vote?
At the show, no. Nothing great from Conn-Selmer in 2020. I think there was one Shires and a couple Greenhoes that were winners of the show for me.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

I have to stand in awe of people who can stand on the floor of a busy music faire and play an instrument for a few minutes and make a value judgement. I used to think I could do that also as a trumpet player and did all the things other trumpet players did: stand in the the middle of the Frankfurt Messe with 20 other trumpet players screeching up to double c and above, shake my head, look at the horn, wipe my mouth and do it all again. Then say how the horn sucked, or alternatively "Not bad, but doesn't live up to the hype." which is nice for "it sucked".

Can't do that anymore.

When I sold my Bachs (42 and 50) becaue after 20 years I couldn't make them do what I wanted them to (and the guy who bought them, first trombone in Berlin and bass in Slokar's quartett LOVED them) and bought my dream horn, my present Yamaha 822g, I first had to unlearn how to play Bachs and learn how to play a Yamaha. If you play a Yamaha like it wants to be played ... yeah, I realize one -could- say the same about those Bachs, but I never figured out how they wanted to be played, either that or how they wanted to be played didn't align with how I wanted to play. Anyway, that took a several weeks. At least. But then again, I don't claim to be a superstar, am probably just a slow learner. In any event, the only other bass I'd even consider trying might be a BvD Thein. But at my age, I'm not gonna actually buy a new horn.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

I’m a former recovering almost Yamaha Artist, and they worked for me for about 13 years, then stopped.
I’m on a Bach Corp 50b3 and love it. Almost plays itself and sounds like a cat drinkin milk. But, I am curious as to who else has played Adams Bass Trombones and what their thoughts were on them.
I’m never going to just have one bass.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I live in the Netherlands and took a trip to Adams store last year to test a couple of instruments as they stock a large rane of trombones from various manufacturers. Top of my list to try was the new Adams bass and I was slightly disappointed with the build quality compared to a Bach, shires (unparalelled!), Edwards or Kuhl & Hoyer. It felt a little like the old besson sovereign, an inferior build with a good set of valves stuck on (my impression!). The price was very reasonable I must say.

I'm slightly unbiased when it comes to Adams as my wife owned an Adams F1 flugel horn with sterling silver bell, new price was €3,199 and from day one she had problems with the valves, returned numerous times to the store but the problem persisted and they never sorted the problem plus she got billed every single occasion so guarantee was non existant. The instrument after a couple of years developed acid bleed in various places.

When we were in the store she also tried the newly designed F1 and asked if they could consider her older SS model as a trade in and they offered her a paltry €600 because it had acid bleed (production fault in my book!) and the valves continually became stuck. She eventually sent the instrument to an independent repair shop and they sorted out the valves and she sold it on ebay. The impression I got from the salesman is that their instruments devalue a lot in price on the 2nd hand market.

I personally wouldn't touch one of their instruments. My 2c.

Return to “Instruments”