Olds recording trombone

Natthis

Olds recording trombone

Post by Natthis »

I bought olds recording trombone but I don't know specific information about this instrument because there is little information on Internet. Could you give me some information?
I want to know;
when this instrument was made
Why slide is not round
Doug Elliott

Re: Olds recording trombone

Post by Doug Elliott »

http://www.itsabear.com/

This has all the information about Olds trombones. It's the website of JohnL, a member here. I'm not sure if there's a serial number list there, but that's available elsewhere.

Early Recordings up until the late 50s had bronze or red brass outer slides, the same as the bell. After that the outer slide was nickel silver.

The fluted inner slide was supposedly to give it less friction and probably to keep it straight. Olds was the only company to do that and not all of their trombones had it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Olds Recording R15:
Tenor trombone, Small/Med bore jazz horn, sort of comparable (in size) to King 3B.
8" Re-O-Loy red brass bell. 0.495”/0.510" dual bore,
“fluted” (duo-octagonal) inner slide tubes, nickel-silver outer slide.
Made in Los Angeles, and then Fullerton, California until about 1979.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Dual bore instruments tend to blow (and articulate) like the top tube and sound like the lower tube. So the Recording has fast articulation and a big warm sound. Also, it's kind of heavy for its size due to a thick bell and the ergonomic bits, so it's a little darker than many horns its size. If you've got one that's dolled up, people will gawk at it. They are really striking horns.

Ergonomically, it tends to be front heavy. I've put an Ambassador counterweight on my tuning slide, and now it balances nicely. Also from an ergonomic point of view, I like the gussetted braces, they make holding it more comfortable.

Materials are the reddish Re-o-loy plus nickel silver neckpipe and tuning slide.

It blends best with bigger horns, or when used as a 3rd part in a big band. I like mine for solos and when there aren't other trombones in a group, like brass quintet or stage combo.

There is a contingent of people who think the Recording is out dated. And then there is a contingent who think it's one of the nicest horns ever made. I'm typically a Conn guy, but I'll cross the aisle for several Olds models too.

There are sometimes discussions about if it's ok to replace the duo-octagonal slides with regular round tubes. If it's collectible, don't replace, leave it original even if the stockings are worn through. If it's a player horn, make it playable. It might change the horn a little, but it won't change the entire character unless the work is done poorly.

Horns that compare spec wise are the Conn 30h (although it has a narrower slide), Bach 16, Rath R1 (although it has a lot of beautiful options) and some others I'm forgetting. These are all nice horns on their own, and given the option I'd probably take an R1, but it's probably 5X the value.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

You'll see this list reproduced in several places; it's generally accepted as accurate:
https://www.adams-music.com/en/repair_a ... mbers/olds

For anything prior to S/N 73,000, it's more a matter of guesstimates.
Natthis

Post by Natthis »

Thank you, everyone.

I found serial number and revealed that my instrument was made in 1969~1971.

Also I understood why this slide is not round.

Thank you all for your support and cooperation.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I'm selling my Olds Recording now on eBay and Reverb with an F attachment. It plays like hell. The bell is 8.1.2' not 8''. The serial number is 256651 in very good condition. Dual slide bore. I believe is from the 40's or 50'

Return to “Instruments”