New Toy

RoscoTrombone

New Toy

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Hey folks I just wanted to share some pics of my new toy which arrived today...

After saving hard during lockdown (at least it was good for something!), I finally paid a visit to the Rath factory at the start of July.

The whole experience was superb and Tim's ear and guidance were excellent. I also had a trumpet playing friend who joined me (anything for a free lunch!!!) who was a blown away with the set up of the place and the options. Having the extra ear was obviously a big help as well.

So the set up I intially had mind was red bell/rotax/yellow slide and work from there. Tim had also set up a nickel/hagmann/dual bore slide to give me an idea of the spectrum available.

I was honestly shocked at how much each component change impacted on the response & feel. For example I found the dual bore slide really hard to get a focused sound from it & the all yellow set up had a great sounding mid-upper register however the lower/trigger notes didn't speak as easily. I also found the Hagmanns much better than the rotax so that was ruled out straight away.

After narrowing each part down and then finishing with the leadpipe. I finally settled on red brass/hagmann/yellow tuning/yellow slide with 9/9B nickel pipes.

I have played a couple of Raths before and they were really good but the difference it makes being able to try the various components makes a huge difference.

I just need to find a home for my B&S Meistersinger so if anyone in the UK & preferable within reasonable travelling distance from Edinburgh is interested, or knows of anyone who would be, then get in touch. The good wife's patience towards having ANOTHER big case in the house won't last very long :lol: :lol:

Ross
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posaunus

Re: New Toy

Post by Posaunus »

Ross,

She's beautiful. Very happy for you! :good:

Enjoy.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Thank you I certainly will. I slipped them an extra few pounds to build in all the right notes as well so hopefully it's not been wasted :lol:
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Very nice.
Steve
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

A thing of beauty to be sure.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:41 am I was honestly shocked at how much each component change impacted on the response & feel...
Could we hear a recording of this effect?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I would recommend you go to a Rath dealer and try them all out for yourself otherwise my opinion is just that. You're personal experience may be different to mine.

I doubt any recording will really quantify what the player feels at the business end.
blast

Post by blast »

I think that sounds like a good selection Ross. Is the bell only one thickness these days ?
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Hi Chris yes it was overall the most balanced and flexible. With regards to the thickness I had been wanting to try a heavier bell/light slide and vice versa combo but they didn't have other thicknesses available to test.

I will be selling the B&S soon if you happen to know of any potential interest? I need to get it in for a service and was going to sell it through Bryce however if I can save on consignment fees then all the better.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:26 pm I would recommend you go to a Rath dealer and try them all out for yourself
A non-starter.

Their website indicates exactly one US distributor... in New Jersey.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

That horn looks fantastic, and it's interesting to learn about your testing of the various options!

Congrats on a New Horn Day!
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

WOW!
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
Randybone

Post by Randybone »

Hopefully my last post to be approved before I can see pictures, then I will be able to see your new axe. Can't wait.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Randybone wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:14 am Hopefully my last post to be approved before I can see pictures, then I will be able to see your new axe. Can't wait.
erm, right now you have only this post. What else have you posted? Were you using a different name?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Randybone

Post by Randybone »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:40 am
Randybone wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:14 am Hopefully my last post to be approved before I can see pictures, then I will be able to see your new axe. Can't wait.
erm, right now you have only this post. What else have you posted? Were you using a different name?
Thanks for pointing that out. Apparently my login on my phone and my login on my computer are in fact 2 different accounts. I will look to get that consolidated. This makes sense now.

Return to “Instruments”