Trombone Slide equivalents to a Bach 8

BrianJohnston

Trombone Slide equivalents to a Bach 8

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all, i'm looking for trombone slide equivalents to a bach 8 (Preferably with a removable leadpipe... if they even make slides that size with removable leadpipes...
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
OneTon

Re: Trombone Slide equivalents to a Bach 8

Post by OneTon »

A King 2BL (aka Jiggs Whigham) with 0.491 inch bore has equivalency to a Bach 8 at 0.490 inch bore. It is still in production. It most probably comes with a fixed leadpipe. Leadpipes are in theory removable. Some can become stuck. Some slides can be modified to accommodate easily removed leadpipes. What are you trying to do?
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

King 605F were also made at.491”. Or at least that’s what my techs calipers read. Leadpipe is fixed though. I think king still sells inners and outlets at .491 for the Jiggs 2B so you may be able to get a replacement if removing the leadpipe fails. I suspect you’d have an easier time finding a 605F than a Jiggs 2B used but I could be wrong about that. I’ve seen a few come up that I wish I could have acquired but I’m in drop mode not buy mode.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

.491 King tubes might or might not be long enough. I don't know.

The crook from the modern 12/16 should be ok in this context. (Originally the 6 crook... undersized on the larger models but probably just fine on an 8.)

Leadpipes might be tricky as there aren't many options in this size, and those that there are are all King-style.

Or... a custom .491/.491 slide from Rath. Their small bore slides are exactly the same length as Bachs, and their cylindrical tenon arrangement means that any small Bach tenon (bored out as needed) can be slipped over the top and soldered in place. You'd still need to find a leadpipe.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

A Shires .485 pipe can be flared out to .491. I had that done to a #2 85 pipe I had put in my Conn 36. I’m not sure if they sell “in between” sizes but the word on the street is that a 1.5 in most tapers is reasonably close to the Bach taper.

Edit: now that I think about it, I believe some of the newer shires slides are really close… isn’t the MD a 495/500 or something?

Edit 2: 495/495. That’s going to be pretty close in feel to a .491 and they have pipes available. Actually… shires small bore receivers are pretty close to the small bore bachs right? I had a 508/525 that fit perfectly on a Mt Vernon 9. Someone he swapped out the large tenon traditionally on that size for a smaller Shires tenon. But the length might not be right. Mine was way too long to play in time or else I’d probably still have that setup…

Return to “Instruments”