Stephens Brass Instruments

arich621

Stephens Brass Instruments

Post by arich621 »

Small plug for "Stephens Brass Instruments", the new line of trombones from Steve Shires himself in his new venture in addition to making horns. These are available by order through the Brass Ark, but Steve was just at the ITF with these new instruments and will likely be at other shows for people to try them out.

They play incredibly well, as you would expect a trombone made entirely by Steve from start to finish would.
I picked up his "Mt. Vernon style" 1 piece yellow bell, Caidex rotary valve, and wide tenor slide (TW47 style) in yellow brass with a nickel crook. It gives you the color of an SE Shires with the slotting and core of the best Bach trombones. Everyone that was playing these at ITF seemed to be in awe (especially the many Shires artists coming by the booth), and I have a feeling they'll be popular very soon.

http://brassark.com/new.html
https://www.stephenshorns.com/trombones
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WilliamLang

Re: Stephens Brass Instruments

Post by WilliamLang »

That's very close to the model I just bought from Stephen! Mt. Vernon Bell with a french bead, as well as a wide tenor slide, an 81 lead pipe, and an annealed valve cap. Absolutely fantastic horn
Stephens Horn.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
arich621

Post by arich621 »

Beautiful!! Very similar indeed, even down to the 81 leadpipe!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Can’t wait to see who changes instruments during the next year. There will be some big names.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Why nickel crook?
arich621

Post by arich621 »

Tbarh wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:24 am Why nickel crook?
Just preference, clearer front to the note and articulations speak easier vs. yellow or gold
arich621

Post by arich621 »

WGWTR180 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:56 pm Can’t wait to see who changes instruments during the next year. There will be some big names.
Agreed! And not for $ or following a trend, just due to how well they play
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

arich621 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:02 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:56 pm Can’t wait to see who changes instruments during the next year. There will be some big names.
Agreed! And not for $ or following a trend, just due to how well they play
We'll see.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Lol
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

Some of the bigger names def seem to be following the money when it comes to endorsements... I was at ITF looking to purchase a new primary instrument as my shires was stolen recently. Steve's new stuff was pretty compelling. The valve was good but not quite the best choice for me. The instruments he brought were definitely top tier offerings and I saw this after spending a good amount of time trying instruments from other boutique makers in the same timespan. Love seeing Steve making trombones again.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
arich621

Post by arich621 »

Molefsky wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:32 pm Some of the bigger names def seem to be following the money when it comes to endorsements... I was at ITF looking to purchase a new primary instrument as my shires was stolen recently. Steve's new stuff was pretty compelling. The valve was good but not quite the best choice for me. The instruments he brought were definitely top tier offerings and I saw this after spending a good amount of time trying instruments from other boutique makers in the same timespan. Love seeing Steve making trombones again.
Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that about your Shires!
Did you try both valves, or remember which one you played? He has the Caidex valve as well as a modified Rotax valve. I'd say the Caidex is a bit lighter, while the Rotax plays slightly wider and you can get a larger sound in the trigger range without the sound getting bright or edgy. The resistance is slightly different between the two as well, and you can tell the Rotax blows differently from ones found on the 396-A for example.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

What style leadpipe is Steve using on those? (Or are there multiple?). The choice can really make or break a setup on a rotary horn.
arich621

Post by arich621 »

Matt K wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:20 am What style leadpipe is Steve using on those? (Or are there multiple?). The choice can really make or break a setup on a rotary horn.
I'm not really sure about the exact style, he's only making yellow brass pipes at the moment and offers a range of sizes along with the similar short/regular/long styles from Shires. What do you find works best with rotary valves??
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Depends on the bell setup, but for unsoldered bells with rotors I tend to use something more "open" and on soldered bells, I tend to prefer pipes that are more "centered". But at conventions, sometimes with modular pipes people prefer the opposite, which may make the horn feel not very good. But some rotors can feel more "open" so a little extra "centeredness" can be good. Likewise some rotors are more centered and articulate and need a little extra "openness" to broaden the sound a little bit. I've never played a Caidex, but I have an Instrument Innovations bass that I play a fairly short piece that seems to be closer to the open side of things and it works really well. if I had thayers on it, I'd probably put a Shires 1.5 or a Bach 50 replica in it.
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

arich621 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:11 am
Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that about your Shires!
Did you try both valves, or remember which one you played? He has the Caidex valve as well as a modified Rotax valve. I'd say the Caidex is a bit lighter, while the Rotax plays slightly wider and you can get a larger sound in the trigger range without the sound getting bright or edgy. The resistance is slightly different between the two as well, and you can tell the Rotax blows differently from ones found on the 396-A for example.
I did and I liked the other variant a little more but still not fully what I was looking for.

I went ahead and cut a check to Sheridan today for my new Shires but I'm eager to see Steve do really well and make me regret my purchase in the near future! :pant:
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

In reference to this post, take a look at the Shires instagram story currently...
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

JKBone85 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:48 am In reference to this post, take a look at the Shires instagram story currently...
Can you provide a link?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Here are photos of the Stephens model 3 trombone: red brass 2 piece bell with seamed flare, open wrap with caidex, red brass tuning slide, wide tenor bronze slide with nickel crook
stephensmodel3_1.jpg
stephensmodel3_2.jpg
stephensmodel3_3.jpg
Here are photos of the Stephens model 3 trombone

Return to “Instruments”