Online Brass Shops

EriKon

Online Brass Shops

Post by EriKon »

Don't know exactly where to put it, so I'll try it here:

Want to ask about good and reliable online Brass shops for used/vintage horns. So far I've heard good things about BrassArk, Dillon Music and Brass Exchange overseas. Over here I know of two sites (Elbblech and EppStore). Anything else that is worth checking in every now and then? :)

Thanks in advance!
harrisonreed

Re: Online Brass Shops

Post by harrisonreed »

I'll vote for BrassArk -- bought a great 3B from them, gets a majority of my play time.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I also vote brass ark. Really great stuff and Noah is just very direct and honest about what the horns are. Covers a great mix of the fanciest stuff available, I just need a functional 321 for valve doubling, and everything in between. Totally awesome shop.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If you're in Europe, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Thomann. https://www.thomann.de/de/index.html
hwlentz

Post by hwlentz »

I used Noah (brassark) several years ago to sell a horn. Everything was smooth and I would use again to buy or sell. I have used Doug at thebrassexchange to buy and sell several times and been to his place. Totally reliable and fair. Would recommend either. Also have dealt with hornguys on an MB case purchase and they are super. If one of those has something you want, go for it with confidence.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

BrassArk, Horn Guys, Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass Co.
crinaman

Post by crinaman »

If you want almost new at a discount, check out www.brassandwinds.com. They resell a lot of demo or slightly used horns. I’ve bought a couple of horns from them and been very happy.
CamelWorld

Post by CamelWorld »

Brass Exchange is fantastic. Doug is a straight shooter and one of the best in the business.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Finetales wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:21 pm BrassArk, Horn Guys, Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass Co.
Sadly, Baltimore Brass will be gone as of October 31, 2022.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I bought a used horn from Erwin Schmid (Neubrunn) in the past and was very pleased with it so check in there now and again.

I haven’t personally bought from them but Lätzsch have a bit of used stock which I browse occasionally.

Otherwise, unfortunately now with post-Brexit import tax to the EU, I’ve been really happy with vintage horns from Mick Rath’s trade-in inventory, Prozone music and Trevor Jones (all in UK).

Swisstbone (active on here) has some really nice horns which have certainly grabbed my attention.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

A lot of what you're paying for, too, is that someone like BrassArk goes over the horn, and makes sure it's in great condition. It was exactly as described.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I'll take the risk and blow my own horn here :-)
www.swisstbone.com
I specialize on vintage trombones.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Your in Europe so

Prozonemusic.com

Phil Parker.co.uk

Also if someone could list who is handling DJ’s inventory please?
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

hyperbolica wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:18 pm If you're in Europe, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Thomann. https://www.thomann.de/de/index.html
Thomann is great if you want to try something, because you can send it back within 30 days without paying anything. But as far as I know they don't have used/vintage instruments.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

MrHCinDE wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:38 pm I bought a used horn from Erwin Schmid (Neubrunn) in the past and was very pleased with it so check in there now and again.

I haven’t personally bought from them but Lätzsch have a bit of used stock which I browse occasionally.
I have bought three instruments from Lätzsch's used horns supply already (I live in the northern parts of Germany, so it's not too far away). They have been in excellent condition 👍
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

EriKon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:06 am I have bought three instruments from Lätzsch's used horns supply already (I live in the northern parts of Germany, so it's not too far away). They have been in excellent condition 👍
You would hope so, the prices are in the upper range!

Joking aside, I think the prices are still reasonable for horns in excellent condition in the German market, which is not comparable with the US (let's close our eyes and ignore the Dollar-Euro rate for now).

Do you know if the used horns are usually serviced by Lätzsch before being put up for sale? That would add a bit of value to me, similar to buying used from Rath. I think quite a few of the used horns I've been in contact with prozone (UK) about were serviced by Adrian Jarvis, who also has a fine reputation.

Since you're in the North, maybe it is also worth looking towards NL. I got a used bass from Van der Glas, there were some minor issues with it and I could have returned (they have a good returns policy) but in the end we found a fair compromise so I'd say the customer service was good overall. They were more than fair when discussing that minor issue.

vintgaetrombones.nl has some nice-looking stuff, might also be worth a visit sometime.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

MrHCinDE wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:23 am
EriKon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:06 am I have bought three instruments from Lätzsch's used horns supply already (I live in the northern parts of Germany, so it's not too far away). They have been in excellent condition 👍
You would hope so, the prices are in the upper range!

Joking aside, I think the prices are still reasonable for horns in excellent condition in the German market, which is not comparable with the US (let's close our eyes and ignore the Dollar-Euro rate for now).

Do you know if the used horns are usually serviced by Lätzsch before being put up for sale? That would add a bit of value to me, similar to buying used from Rath. I think quite a few of the used horns I've been in contact with prozone (UK) about were serviced by Adrian Jarvis, who also has a fine reputation.

Since you're in the North, maybe it is also worth looking towards NL. I got a used bass from Van der Glas, there were some minor issues with it and I could have returned (they have a good returns policy) but in the end we found a fair compromise so I'd say the customer service was good overall. They were more than fair when discussing that minor issue.

vintgaetrombones.nl has some nice-looking stuff, might also be worth a visit sometime.
They are definitely serviced before they are getting sold and also before he puts them up on the webpage. And thanks for the Dutch suggestions, will check it out.

I mean, I don't have an urgent need of a certain horn right now. I just enjoy browsing through horns, but you never know; maybe you'll find something that you can't let go ;)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

In that case check out TC Gakki in Tokyo. Their page has all their instruments listed, sometimes absurd instruments come through. All great condition
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

In the US definitely The Brassark. Brass Exchange can also be good. Dillon Music has very little in the way of good quality vintage instruments. For years if they received anything it would go into the basement and would be sold overseas for good money. Sadly many players in the area never saw any of those special gems.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

JohnL wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:58 pm
Finetales wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:21 pm BrassArk, Horn Guys, Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass Co.
Sadly, Baltimore Brass will be gone as of October 31, 2022.
Don’t write the closing chapter on the Baltimore Brass Company yet. I stopped by the store a little over a week ago. Supposedly, the store already has two bidders. BB cannot announce anything until there has been an official purchase and transfer of ownership. Let’s hope that the store can stay open.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:59 am In that case check out TC Gakki in Tokyo. Their page has all their instruments listed, sometimes absurd instruments come through. All great condition
I checked out TC Gakki’s website…not bad. I love how all of the Bach instruments are listed as “Vincent Buck” and bore sizes are listed as “fine” (small bore) and “thick” (large bore). Instrument terminology in various languages can make for some interesting translations.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have never been disappointed in anything from Brass Exchange, Hornguys, Dillon’s, or Sam Ash. I have also had positive experience with Long and McQuade in Canada. I have purchased several horns from Wichita Band Instrument. They are honest.

If a dealer can in fact get a better price for traded in instruments in export or import markets, they have every right to do so. We live in a global economy and have done so for longer than people may realize.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

OneTon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:42 pm I have never been disappointed in anything from Brass Exchange, Hornguys, Dillon’s, or Sam Ash. I have also had positive experience with Long and McQuade in Canada. I have purchased several horns from Wichita Band Instrument. They are honest.

If a dealer can in fact get a better price for traded in instruments in export or import markets, they have every right to do so. We live in a global economy and have done so for longer than people may realize.
Yep never said Dillon didn’t have the right.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

OneTon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:42 pm I have never been disappointed in anything from Brass Exchange, Hornguys, Dillon’s, or Sam Ash. I have also had positive experience with Long and McQuade in Canada. I have purchased several horns from Wichita Band Instrument. They are honest.

How were you able to purchase from Long & McQuade? Their website says they don't ship outside of Canada.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

LeoInFL wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:29 am

How were you able to purchase from Long & McQuade? Their website says they don't ship outside of Canada.
Huh. I bought a horn from them a LOOOOONG time ago and they did ship to me (Canada to Michigan), so they did at one time.

Back to the OP; I also have had experience with BrassArk and Brass Exchange. Both had deep knowledge of what they had and were able to communicate it very precisely and accurately. Prices for them were not bargain basement, but when you want something very specific, you can't expect a crazy deal.

Cheers,
Andy
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

LeoInFL wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:29 am How were you able to purchase from Long & McQuade? Their website says they don't ship outside of Canada.
As Andy already noted, it was some time ago. Alastair Kay had recommended Yamaha Slide Oil, as it was called at the time, for YSL-697 trombones. No one in the States seemed to be carrying it. Getting my credit card to work was a fight to the finish but Long and McQuade hung in there.

Had it been an instrument and not an accessory, I would have been able to say, “The brass is always greener on the other side of the fence.”
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

OneTon wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:09 am ...

Had it been an instrument and not an accessory, I would have been able to say, “The brass is always greener on the other side of the fence.”
Ooh. You don't want green brass. :horror:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Lol
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
SlaineM

Post by SlaineM »

I will also vouch for the horn guys bought my C tuba from them a few years back and plan on getting an F tuba from them too. Steve is very helpful and an awesome human.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Brass Exchange does a lot of overseas business. Doug does a great job. I’ve seen some stunning vintage horns go through there.

Fridge
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

SwissTbone wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:01 am I'll take the risk and blow my own horn here :-)
www.swisstbone.com
I specialize on vintage trombones.

GREAT shop 😎
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

We are lucky to have some great shops. I've had excellent experiences with BrassArk and Horn Guys. I've not bought directly from SwissTbone, but I have an incredible horn that went through his shop recently and sold a horn to him (separately) in a very easy transaction. You pay more than buying privately, but if those guys say it is good, they are almost certainly right.

(That isn't true with some of the bigger used vintage shops. Not naming names, but there are certainly folks selling instruments at dealer prices that are no better vetted or in no better condition than you'd surely get rolling the dice on Ebay.)

Thompson Music is a neat small shop that nobody has mentioned. More trumpet focused, and maybe overlooked by virtue of its location, but worth checking out.

I don't have much experience with them (or any affiliation), but I think Schmitt Music is doing neat stuff with their "trombone shop," including a broad selection with new stuff from student to boutique. I appreciate their YouTube content covering not only new shiny things, but cool vintage instruments. Their website isn't the best, and I'm not sure it is complete (not showing any used trombones right now, if I'm doing it right). Some solid prices, at least on accessories. It is a rare business that can sell things I actually want near a major airport while also having bricks and mortar locations where a family with a beginner can walk in and get actual advice.

Paul

Return to “Instruments”