Wessex Rotor Contra review

Burgerbob

Wessex Rotor Contra review

Post by Burgerbob »

Got to borrow a friend's brand new Wessex contra with rotors. Generally, an ok instrument with a few drawbacks.

And of course, it's literally your only option for under 8 or 9000 dollars!

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
deanmccarty

Re: Wessex Rotor Contra review

Post by deanmccarty »

This is a great review. Thanks for putting in the time. I’m in the category of one who “wanted” a contra… I didn’t really need a contra. BUT… I didn’t want a sub-par instrument… and $4K is a LOT of money to spend on a sub-par instrument. Last year I bit the bullet and ordered a German contra, and it is a fantastic instrument. Will I ever get paid to play it? Maybe… but probably not. But for me that wasn’t the point. Ever since I saw Phil Teele play “I Ain’t Gonna Ask No More” I’ve been enamored by the contra… and that was over 40 years ago! I always rationalized with myself that it was too much money to spend on an instrument that will never pay for itself… but… my irrational side won out, and I’m glad it did. It’s an instrument just for me. And I’m ok with that… and I was able to afford it. My advice to anyone… there’s no need for a contra… but if you’re going to buy one, save your money and purchase a quality instrument.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Someone here in NYC bought a Dillon Music Contra(3K) and he and I were on a "session" a few years back. Lots of trombonists and about 10 using Contras. I asked him how he liked his Contra and he said "well, I like the price." He can play it but he can play anything. I might invest in the Wessex because from what I heard you do it sounds ok. I doubt I'll ever get hired to play it but I'd like to goof around. I can goof around for 4K, not for 9K. Wondering if Chris Stearn had any time on the prototype??? Thanks for the video!!!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If the contra is anything like my alto, it’s being held in place for dear life by an enormous glob of solder on the bell braces. If you have the skill (or can pay for a reassembly) it would probably be much closer to the 9k one. But I haven’t had a chance to try the Wessex alto yet (tech is backlogged). Problem with contras is it’s way more solder points and the valves can be weird too.
blast

Post by blast »

No Bill, I've not tried the new version of the Wessex contra. The original one was not great but that was mostly down to the fake Hagmanns. I realise how lucky I am to have the Rath...an instrument built to my specification, though the mere ownership of a contra does not guarantee work any more...over here, everyone and his dog seems to own a contra.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

blast wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am ...over here, everyone and his dog seems to own a contra.
Damn! My dog doesn't own a contra :tongue: :lol:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

blast wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am No Bill, I've not tried the new version of the Wessex contra. The original one was not great but that was mostly down to the fake Hagmanns. I realise how lucky I am to have the Rath...an instrument built to my specification, though the mere ownership of a contra does not guarantee work any more...over here, everyone and his dog seems to own a contra.
I was just asked to perform a new piece on Contra next April and I'm going to do it! Now to find an instrument and learn how to play it properly. Cannot afford anything great so I might just rent or borrow from someone. More later. :)
gbedinger

Post by gbedinger »

WGWTR180 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:44 pm
blast wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:03 am No Bill, I've not tried the new version of the Wessex contra. The original one was not great but that was mostly down to the fake Hagmanns. I realise how lucky I am to have the Rath...an instrument built to my specification, though the mere ownership of a contra does not guarantee work any more...over here, everyone and his dog seems to own a contra.
I was just asked to perform a new piece on Contra next April and I'm going to do it! Now to find an instrument and learn how to play it properly. Cannot afford anything great so I might just rent or borrow from someone. More later. :)
Yes, please keep us posted.

Return to “Instruments”