Shires Bass slide abrasion

Trubore

Shires Bass slide abrasion

Post by Trubore »

Hey guys,
I am the owner of a Shires Bass for six months now and I absolutely love the instrument.
I am just wondering about the slide, there is some black abrasion after maybe two days of playing.
Should I be worried about this or is it quite normal?
Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Shires Bass slide abrasion

Post by BGuttman »

If there is black gunk in the slide, give it a good cleaning with cheesecloth on a rod (or a Brass Saver if you have one). Clean until no black stuff rubs off on fresh cheesecloth. Apply some fresh lube and repeat. You may have to do this for a couple of months periodically to get the last of the lapping compound out of the slide. Also, you need to have the lube build a coating on the inside of the outer slide to prevent further oxidation of the brass. Consider it a "break in" process. Once you have developed that coating and removed all the leftover lapping compound you should be good for years.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Trubore

Post by Trubore »

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I did not buy a new horn - it is already about 10 years old I guess.
Can it still be lapping compound?
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Lapping compound is not used in handslide production.

Has the slide been professionally cleaned recently?
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Is it that the slide gets black "gunk" on it from the lubrication you are using? If that is what it is, it probably needs a nice cleaning, probably from a professional.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

The Slide Doctor used to use something that produced that condition. I don’t know if he still does or someone has picked up his practice. If that is what it is repeated thorough cleaning will eventually eliminate it.

How does the slide feel after cleaning and lubrication? Is the black residue truly gritty?
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Trubore

Post by Trubore »

I'm using the slide lube from Yamaha. Didn't notice something on the slide of the XO bass I had before I bought the Shires.

The slide really feels fine after cleaning. It's not gritty, it's as fine as verdigris looks like - but black.
meine

Post by meine »

Could it be that the handslide bumper or stopping felt (I don‘t know how it‘s called in English) is made of felt? I remember having the same problem with a horn years ago where this felt was dissolving and I had this black thing on the inner slide. I let replace them with new stopping felts and the problem was solved.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Agreed that slide tubes are NOT "lapped"!!

The black residue is probably buffing compound, will eventually clean out with repeated swabbing with the cheesecloth.
Yamasnot and Trombotine have good cleaning properties long with the lubrication, so just keep cleaning the slide.

Also, be sure to use ENOUGH lube on your slide!!
A common misconception that "a little is better"!! Remember that you're trying to coat the ENTIRE inner surface of the outer tubes!!
AND use a water source that gives you bigger drops of water as THAT is what the slide eventually rides on!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Instruments”