Yamaha YSL-620G wide or narrow slide?

MTbassbone

Yamaha YSL-620G wide or narrow slide?

Post by MTbassbone »

Does the Yamaha YSL-620G have a wide or narrow slide?

Also anyone know they play compared to the Xeno line?
calcbone

Re: Yamaha YSL-620G wide or narrow slide?

Post by calcbone »

In case no one who has one chimes in...

On the "Slide Widths" thread, we have 88 mm for the Xeno version (YSL-820GII), which is between an 88H (82 mm) and a 42B (93 mm). Of course, Yamaha may have tweaked it, but the images that I can find of the two models look pretty similar.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I have a 620G bass. Before I bought it, I was able to compare it with an 830 and an 822.

My horn is a little bit different from stock in that the slide is brass and not nickel silver. A special order by Yam’s lads back in Toronto. I can’t comment on slide width. I have a wide slide on my Shires .547 and a standard width on my .525. I didn’t know it was a thing on bass. (I have 2 basses, the Yam and a Benge)

Compared with the Xenos, the 620G was a bit darker, more responsive. Very focused. The Xeno tenors and basses struck me as heavy and a bit dull.

Yam markets the 620G to “budget conscious band directors” although the 6## indicates Yam considers it a professional level instrument. You might well ignore the band director stuff and just make up your own mind if you have the chance.

I keep telling myself I should sell one of my basses but I like them both and can’t decide between them. The Yam plays very well while the Benge, also a good player, has a funky charm.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I owned a 620G for a good while. Very good horns! I remember the slide being "medium wide" - not as wide as some like a Bach or Selmer Largo, but not as narrow as the Conn basses. In other words, just right!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
btone

Post by btone »

Wasn't the original poster trying to ask about the relative width of the Yamaha 620 tenor slide? Not their 620 bass, right? I am also unclear about this.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

YSL is a tenor. Large bore with F attachment. Replaced YSL 682. YBL is a bass. Dual valve dependent.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I believe the YSL-620 Tenor trombones have "Conn" width slides, and they also have a pretty round end bow, from what I can see.

As far as I know, the YSL-620G is not a U.S. market horn or has been discontinued as an option.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”