King Trombone ID Please

DLovell

King Trombone ID Please

Post by DLovell »

Hi, All! So, I tend to collect instruments and about a year ago was given a King Trombone in its original case. Her brother had played it in the 1970s and the serial number matches that time period. That is ALL the info I can find on it. I am a woodwind player, not brass, and I know some brass players but not connoisseurs. There is a young man my oldest son knows who is in need of a trombone for college. He is on a jazz band scholarship. I don't know how to tell if the one I have is a student model or something a little more. It needs work as it hasn't been played in at least 30 years besides my kids messing around with it, but it's not badly dinged up or anything. I found the serial number around the slide hand brace, but no model number or other identifying marks. I unfortunately don't entirely trust the ones I know to not try to bilk me by telling me it's junky or whatever. I've had similar experiences with music shops and other instruments in the past. Any help is appreciated!
BGuttman

Re: King Trombone ID Please

Post by BGuttman »

A King professional level trombone will have a curved bell brace (curves toward the bell flare by the bell). Those will have a model number engraved on the bell: 2102, 2103, 2104, 2105, 2106, 2107, or 2108.

If the instrument has a valve built into the bell section it is a cut above student at least. With a straight bell brace it could be 608 or 609. With a curved bell brace it's 2103F (3BF), 2104F (4BF) 2105 (5B). Larger numbers are bass trombones and are probably not the case here.

A trombone with no extra tubing in the bell or valve is a student Tempo (straight brace), Step-up Tempo (curved bell brace), 2102 (2B), 21o3 (3B), or 2104 (4B).

Most likely it's a student Tempo (straight bell brace). They were the most common. If the brace is curved, it's a better grade horn.

Hope this helps.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Just post a few photos, and we'll help you identify the trombone. Wealth of knowledge here on TromboneChat!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

You may find what you're looking for here, although most this is about older models and yours may not be there.:

http://hnwhite.com/Trombone%20Page.htm
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Instruments”