What was the most crazy trombone you‘ve ever played?

MrHCinDE

Re: What was the most crazy trombone you‘ve ever played?

Post by MrHCinDE »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:20 pm
Kbiggs wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Seriously? The bell, stem, and j-bend are all one piece?!? That is insane!!! That must be one very long piece of sheet brass and some careful bending and shaping to produce that. Wouldn’t they need a lathe with a very wide space to accommodate the long j-bend?

I remember the Wiener Posaunenquartette play (or played) these horns on several albums, and they sound GREAT!
That's what I can see, and also had it confirmed by a Schagerl dealer... could still be wrong about it but I don't see a single spot it would be brazed together on that axis. "like a trumpet" was the wording!
i had a tenor version, a special order by the original owner without the F-valve and with a gold plated bell section. It might even have been one piece all the way through from the bell flare to the slide receiver. I’ll see if I can dig up an old photo with enough resolution to see if the gooseneck was brazed together or part of the same piece as the rest of the bell section (might be hard to tell with the gold plating though!)

It played really nice and even, sort of wish I’d kept it now but I’m still not doing much symphonic playing, which is where it really shone. I hope the new owner is enjoying it.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I really don't consider these crazy, they're just different.

I had a Wessex prototype of a large bore tenor with two independent valves. Fun to play, but sounded a bit like a buzz saw down low.

I had a 3B silver sonic with a screw bell. Sooo front heavy I just couldn't deal with it.

Finally I currently own a Yamaha 350c. Very interesting instrument with an ascending valve and a 6 position slide. It would work as a daily driver if you need a compact horn.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

As my first bass, this horn has gotten modified
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Nice valve covers. Are those custom?
mbrady115

Post by mbrady115 »

I got to try what was apparently the original “The King” trombone made by Henderson White himself. It’s stored at the Eastlake factory. The original slide was unusable but I tried it with a 2b slide. Very dense and sweet sound, played evenly through all registers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

My alto trombone
Fort Wayne Philharmonic

Return to “Instruments”