Title says it all :)
1942 King 2b
90's Benge 290
2020s Shires Q Alessi
Zen G
BGuttman

Re: What horns did Kai Winding play?

Post by BGuttman »

Kai was famous for playing two King horns: a straight tenor (2B?) and a valved Trombonium.

Note that the horns didn't make Kai's sound -- Kai made Kai's sound. He would have been impressive on anything.

The Trombonium did help with fast passages, though.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I believe almost always King 2b and 3b trombones.

This link goes a bit more into detail: http://bjbear71.com/Winding/Non-album1.html

I have also heard that he was pretty notorious for not cleaning out his inner slides...
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

How bad would you have to be to be “notorious”?
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:42 pm How bad would you have to be to be “notorious”?
Bought a trombone off a 90 year old the week after he quit playing. This is what I got out of the inner slide.
slide cleaning 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kingfan on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:42 pm How bad would you have to be to be “notorious”?
I heard that some slide cheese must have broken free and clogged his slide, and he needed to borrow another, or something along those lines.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:36 pm I have also heard that he was pretty notorious for not cleaning out his inner slides...
Lloyd Ulyate was also "notorious" for not cleaning his trombone. After his tech cleaned the significantly narrowed inner slide, there was (unsurprisingly) a substantial change in response and pitch! [Personal communication.]
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:38 pmLloyd Ulyate was also "notorious" for not cleaning his trombone. After his tech cleaned the significantly narrowed inner slide, there was (unsurprisingly) a substantial change in response and pitch! [Personal communication.]
I wonder if anyone has tried to replicate the feeling of a gunked up slide that some people seem to love or revel in.

Reminds me of when an electric guitar company had to design a circuit that replicated the slight delay and capacitance effect for a customer who switched from 104 ft long cables to a wireless system.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I remember Kai's clinic from a long-ago ITF.
He said he always had the King factory thin his bells with double buffing and maybe some other process too. I think it was 3B's that he played.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Kai mostly played 2b’s buffed very thin bell 491/491 with the trumpet style water key, at different times he had a green one, which some how ended up in a closet in Carl Fontana’s house and was rediscovered after CF’s passing and the famous ‘playboy blue’ one he used when resident at the club

He used a 3b during the years with JJ when King wanted to promote the new .508 horn, his mouthpiece was a custom Giardinelli, which Ibelieve Greg Black has/can reproduce as he has the original tools etc
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:47 pm
Posaunus wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:38 pmLloyd Ulyate was also "notorious" for not cleaning his trombone. After his tech cleaned the significantly narrowed inner slide, there was (unsurprisingly) a substantial change in response and pitch! [Personal communication.]
I wonder if anyone has tried to replicate the feeling of a gunked up slide that some people seem to love or revel in.
Lloyd was apparently astonished (and pleased) when presented with a shiny (& aligned) opened up slide that played in tune!
I think he didn't want to go back to what he had. He just wasn't aware of trombone hygiene.
HermanGerman

Post by HermanGerman »

The same story with some trumpet players.
The opposite is the story of the great trumpet player named Rafael Mendez. Olds copied his beloved F. Besson trumpet (a french manufacturer) to establish the Olds Mendez model. But what ever they did it just did not work for Mendez. He was not satisfied.
So they took his personal horn and found out that it was not as tight as a standard horn. They changed the "airtightness" (?) and Mendez was happy.
I don´t know if the story is true but it´s good and an early Olds Mendez is a wonderful horn.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I meet Kai several times in Sweden, every time he played 2B. The bell was thined out by George Strucel who lived in Sweden the last years of his life.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Basbasun wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:50 am I meet Kai several times in Sweden, every time he played 2B. The bell was thined out by George Strucel who lived in Sweden the last years of his life.
Kai apparently liked thinner bells, by numerous reports.
How does one go about "thinning out" a bell on an intact trombone?
rickfaulknernyc

Post by rickfaulknernyc »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:28 pm
I heard that some slide cheese must have broken free and clogged his slide, and he needed to borrow another, or something along those lines.
Bill Watrous told a story about that at a master class I went to back in the 90's. According to him, Kai went to play "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" and the horn blocked up completely. Backstage, when he ran a cleaning rod through it, a solid cylinder of gunk dropped onto the floor and lay there quivering like jelly.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:11 am
Basbasun wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:50 am I meet Kai several times in Sweden, every time he played 2B. The bell was thined out by George Strucel who lived in Sweden the last years of his life.
Kai apparently liked thinner bells, by numerous reports.
How does one go about "thinning out" a bell on an intact trombone?
Extreme buffing.
Sandpaper.

You can also take the flare off and put it back on. Doesn't take but a few minutes.

Do not try at home on a horn you care about.

Cheers,
Andy
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Return to “Instruments”