Finding large bore straight horns

ChandlerAsh

Finding large bore straight horns

Post by ChandlerAsh »

Good afternoon, I am currently in search for a large bore straight tenor horn. I have seen several threads with people that own them and I was wondering what is the most effective way to go about purchasing one. I bought my B-8 off of Facebook marketplace but I have yet to come across another one, and I would like to stay away from purchasing at retail price if possible.
If you have any suggestions please let me know.
BGuttman

Re: Finding large bore straight horns

Post by BGuttman »

Our Classifieds occasionally show Bach 42 (not B), Conn 8H, Yamaha 681 or 610, and even an Olds Opera O-15 from time to time. All good straight large bore tenors. Note that you won't get away for under $500 like you would with a small bore straight horn. Anything that cheap is probably going to need a fair amount of work.

You could also put a WTB posting in our Classifieds.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I bought a very nice 8h from Brass Exchange. It's always a crap shoot buying used horns, or just horns you can't play before handing over the credit card. I've never bought a horn I regretted from Doug Bert, Brass Ark, or Horn Guys.

With used horns, if you decide you don't like it, you can usually turn around and sell them for what you paid or close. Most of the people here on the forum that sell horns are trustworthy and will give you a fair description.

To get a horn you like, make sure to read what people write about playing the horn. Specs only get you so far, horns with the same specs can play very differently. To me, it's all about how it feels to play the instrument.

Unless you can try before you buy, you might have to cycle through some to get what you are looking for.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

If only it was easier to find a Shires gooseneck...
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

mcphatty00 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:23 pm If only it was easier to find a Shires gooseneck...
Typically shires dealers have them in stock. Buying used only saves maybe $100 since they’re relatively inexpensive to begin with. And since the horns are modular a lot of people snatch them up to have as an option if they do come up
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

Matt K wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:30 pm
mcphatty00 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:23 pm If only it was easier to find a Shires gooseneck...
Typically shires dealers have them in stock. Buying used only saves maybe $100 since they’re relatively inexpensive to begin with. And since the horns are modular a lot of people snatch them up to have as an option if they do come up
I know. Nobody seems to have any right now.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oh man you’re totally right. I can’t remember the last time I looked at dealers pages and most didn’t have it in stock but now that I think about it I haven’t checked since the pandemic started. Shucks I was hoping to pick one up for a project soon. Guess I’ll have to wait a few months. Better call shires up tomorrow…
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I’d second trying to find something at Brass Exchange. Doug Bert will help you out, and if he doesn’t have anything in stock may be able to give you a heads up on anything new coming in. I’ve seen some nice Elkhart Conn 8h come through his website.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Also check Dillon's, Hornguys, Brass Ark and eBay. I've seen all of the models in previous posts on these sites. Also - Shires, Edwards and Rath all have straight neckpipes for their horns. There are also lots of older Bachs that were made with detachable valves, and aftermarket modified Conns, etc. They all show up from time to time on the various sites that feature used instruments.

Jim Scott
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Large-bore straight horns are not very sought after by players, so they are kinda tough to sell. That can work in your favor.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

There's a tempting Holton on Brass Exchange https://www.thebrass-exchange.com/conte ... bore-tenor
Last edited by hyperbolica on Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I've got an 8h and Selmer Largo available if you're interested.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Brass Exchange inventory is huge these days, all types. Benge and King large tenors can be a real good value. Olds Operas have that odd small receiver but even with that they are very good. Take a look at Besson too, often underpriced and huge sound.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

You've probably seen it, but I'm working hard to avoid buying the Yamaha 841 in the classifieds here. No affiliation with the seller or experience with that particular horn.

Paul
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Matt K wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:30 pm
I have a gooseneck for my Shires. I'd play it as a straight horn a lot more if having the valve wasn't so much more convenient for most of my playing.

Factor in the price of a counterweight with the gooseneck. A Shires with a gooseneck sans counterweight is slide-heavy. For me, it's unplayably slide-heavy, but your mileage may vary.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I think part of the issue with shires large bore neck pipes is the little thumb rest thing. I have one with an “S” crossbrace that is a lot more comfortable to me.

Return to “Instruments”