Should I sell my bone?

Thootje

Should I sell my bone?

Post by Thootje »

Hi all!

I recently upgraded from my '90s 42BO to a New York model Courtois (I love it!), but while I initially had the plan to sell my Bach, I'm having some doubts. I don't no why exactly, but the idea of selling it just doesn't seem so attractive anymore. I practically don't play on it anymore, but (perhaps because it was my very first self-owned trombone) I feel a little uncomfortable selling it. I don't really need the money from the sale, as I almost paid of the Courtois, but it still would be nice, as I also need a replacement slide for my 2B.

Question is: should I sell? Will I ever need it again (as a replacement or anything)? Will I ever even play on it again?

I hope some of you have some experience with this, and can lend me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas.

P.S. I didn't really know what forum to post this kind of question, but I guess this is the best place for it
elmsandr

Re: Should I sell my bone?

Post by elmsandr »

Depends on how you think of it.

Does it have sentimental value?

How much playing are you doing that you may need a backup? If you are a pro and it is your source of income, that may be a good plan. If not, how many other durable goods do you have a backup for? Refrigerator? Washing machine? Car?

Financially, you're not getting a massive windfall with selling it, so this doesn't strike me as much of a financial decision. If you ever want to pick up another 42; they will be readily available. But it will not likely be THIS 42.

Personally, I regret selling some of the horns I've sold... but not all. Some are just tools that are better used by others now.

Cheers,
Andy
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

I'm pretty much with Andy, except for the refrigerator analogy.

Can you get someone local to repair or replace your refrigerator?

Same time lag for your Courtois?

If you ding the slide on your Courtois, what is the lag to get it fixed? Or can you use your 2B in a pinch?

Do you accept any gigs where you'd rather not risk the Courtois?

As Andy says, no massive windfall in selling it.

What is it costing you to keep it? If you have to rent a storage unit to have enough room for it... well, in that case I'D selling it... but otherwise?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've regretted selling a number of horns. Once you sell it, it's hard to get back. If the Courtois is really that much of an upgrade, I'd still sit on it for a few months (honeymoon period) and if you still feel the same way, then sell the Bach and have a plan for the money, like lessons, 2b slide, books, recordings, concert tix, etc. If you don't need to sell it, avoid selling impulsively. And remember the honeymoon can wear off.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I totally agree with the suggestion to keep it if you're doing a lot of gigging, and would be up a creek if the Courtois had a mis-hap. Have you tried swapping the bells and slides? Some of the older Courtois have the same size tenon and receiver as a 42; if so that is another reason to hang on to it.
If you're on the fence about it, clean and dry the Bach and store in a dry place for a year (maybe 2) If you don't give it a thought during that time, then go ahead and sell it.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I would definitely wait for a bit and see. What horn is worth shouldn't change much from today to in a year. Unless you need the money I don't see any harm in holding on to it for a bit longer.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
Monkhouse

Post by Monkhouse »

Mamaposaune wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:33 am I totally agree with the suggestion to keep it if you're doing a lot of gigging, and would be up a creek if the Courtois had a mis-hap. Have you tried swapping the bells and slides? Some of the older Courtois have the same size tenon and receiver as a 42; if so that is another reason to hang on to it.
If you're on the fence about it, clean and dry the Bach and store in a dry place for a year (maybe 2) If you don't give it a thought during that time, then go ahead and sell it.
I don't do a lot of gigging, but I still have a couple back up horns. I've had my main horn be in the shop for weeks before, so I'll be keeping at least 2 trombones at all times.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Do the calculus. Is it worth more as money or more as a trombone?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It is a good playing Bach?
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Bachs are (IMO) pretty fungible; it's always possible to grab another used 42 if you find yourself missing it, so if you're not using it lately I'd probably sell.

If this particular horn has some sentimental value and you're not otherwise concerned about the money, maybe hang on to it, maybe pass it along to a younger relative/student/friend's kid for free or below market value.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A friend bought himself a new Shires and relegated his old Benge to storage. Eventually I bought it from. He complained a little about my lowballing him but after sitting unplayed for a few years, it needed some TLC to be put into playing condition.

As Marie Kondo might ask: does the Bach bring you joy?
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

It seemed like my go to lead horn had gone to the shop every time I had a gig. This happened multiple times. It eventually became my gone away horn. In that interim before I abandoned the “go to” horn, it was nice to have a back up horn that I felt comfortable on.

To add insult to injury, I live in a location where it is not a matter of dashing down to Sam Ash and picking one out. Sometimes used horns or even new horns have to be dialed in to get them to where they’re actually ready for a gig.

On one occasion I had a horn get stolen. It was at a time and place where the local brick and mortar store had a new 42 for sale. And I had the cash in hand.

I would keep the 42 and save up for the 2B slide. And by the way, everything I have has some form of back up. I practice what I advise. I admit that I have admiration for a player that has only a 42 and 2B. (I never played a Courtois and it is probably best that I do not. ;-) )
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

A few years ago, I sold my old 2B Jiggs that I'd received for Christmas and played all through my senior year of HS and through college. I'd since moved on to other horns that I liked better, and I was moving, so it was the right time to sell it. It took moving to get me to sell it, but I'm glad I did: any sort of pressure to play it was gone.

I'd hold onto your 42 until you're fairly sure you'll be happier without it.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

To put in another way : A horn "becomes" a friend. Now --- How many of your real "friends" would you part with for $$$$$ ??
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If you aren't pressed for cash or space, keep it until someone comes along that you want to have the horn - then sell it to 'em at a good price and don't look back.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I had a similar dilemma with an 88h which was my first own instrument and saw me through about 15 years of solid service. At some point I acquired a couple of other horns which basically put the 88h into retirement in my cupboard.

After holding onto it for another five years or so, I finally decided to sell it to fund other trombone-related purchases. It was important to me to get it freshly serviced etc. before I sold it so perhaps a small part of me still felt some attachment to the horn, however irrational that is.

I have no regrets about holding onto to it until I was sure and no real regrets after I’d finally sold it, apart from maybe one small wobble, which was resolved when I realized I could find another similar horn at a later date if I ever wanted to go back to that particular type of 88h. The value did not decrease in the five years it was in the cupboard, if anything it increased. After I’d sold it, I was happy to use the cash for something else I actually play instead.

In your position I would put the 42BO away in a cupboard for some time, between a few months and a few years, and if you either don’t use it at all or get it out to try occasionally and still prefer the Courtois then it’s probably time to sell.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

OneTon wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:18 am To add insult to injury, I live in a location where it is not a matter of dashing down to Sam Ash and picking one out.
How is Wichita Band Instrument doing these days? Back when I was in high school, they were the biggest Bach dealer in the midwest until you hit Chicago. People would drive down from Kansas City regularly to try out horns.

Their website doesn't seem to have kept pace with Dillon, Baltimore Brass, Ken Pope, Brass Exchange, et. al., so it's tough to get a good fix on what's in stock.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Gary Ray and his kids are doing well and making a living at Wichita Band Instrument. Steve Slater retired. I have gotten some great horns and great deals from them. You still can. What they carry as inventory has changed over the years. I still check with them before I buy something.

FWIW: There is no Sam Ash in Wichita, Kansas. We are lucky to have Wichita Band Instrument and Senseney, and as strong a school, university, opera, and symphony music program as we do.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

OneTon wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:20 am Gary Ray and his kids are doing well and making a living at Wichita Band Instrument. Steve Slater retired. I have gotten some great horns and great deals from them. You still can. What they carry as inventory has changed over the years. I still check with them before I buy something.

FWIW: There is no Sam Ash in Wichita, Kansas. We are lucky to have Wichita Band Instrument and Senseney, and as strong a school, university, opera, and symphony music program as we do.
Glad that WBI is still running well. Both my parents graduated from WSU, and I too am glad that Wichita has it: it's the only urban university in Kansas. Now that I've traveled a lot more in my life, I'm able to appreciate that a little more.

Sam Ash... I wouldn't worry about not having one. There's no Sam Ash in many Midwestern cities and towns: it's just not their market. WWBW has its distribution center in Kansas City, so if someone's in need of a big-box instrument, that's around. There are a lot of Music and Arts floating around in KC these days, which I understand is owned by the same parent corporation. Way better to shop locally if you can anyways.

I do miss Music Go Round: we had one out in Boston, and used to have a couple in Kansas City: they've been nice folks to deal with over the years, and I was neighbors with the Boston-area owner. He even gave me a free trombone (albeit a Holton Collegiate) that he couldn't sell.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:30 am

If this particular horn has some sentimental value and you're not otherwise concerned about the money, maybe hang on to it, maybe pass it along to a younger relative/student/friend's kid for free or below market value.
We did a performance some time back in a library where the audience interacted a bit, and a couple of players talked about their history. Some one recommended keeping a horn even if you're not going to be playing it, because later on in life your interests could change.

A mother in the audience stood up and said no don't do that. Her son was a talented highschooler but finances didn't allow a new horn; he was playing decent equipment only because someone sold a horn at a reasonable price. If everybody hoards their good horns kids don't have a chance at them.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

timothy42b wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:09 pm
spencercarran wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:30 am

We did a performance some time back in a library where the audience interacted a bit, and a couple of players talked about their history. Some one recommended keeping a horn even if you're not going to be playing it, because later on in life your interests could change.

A mother in the audience stood up and said no don't do that. Her son was a talented highschooler but finances didn't allow a new horn; he was playing decent equipment only because someone sold a horn at a reasonable price. If everybody hoards their good horns kids don't have a chance at them.

Wtf seriously? Lol.

I had a student from 2000 to 2002. They weren't flush with money but were business savvy and the father had a good job. When his mom set her mind to something there was no stopping her. This kid ended up with a Bach 42T, Bach 50B2. A near mint 48H, 2 6hs, a Bassoon, an 88HN and a couple of other horns. All bought at "reasonable " prices.

Deals can be found, but we shouldn't have to flood the market with equipment and take a loss on it's value for the sake of students.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Thrawn22 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:13 pm
timothy42b wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:09 pm

Deals can be found, but we shouldn't have to flood the market with equipment and take a loss on it's value for the sake of students.
That wasn't her point, though. She suspected, and I would tend to agree, that there are thousands of horns sitting in attics and closets that will never be played again. They'll be kept forever in case someone wants to relive his or her glory days in highschool, but that time will never come. Those used horns may not be cosmetically wonderful but would be an order of magnitude better than an inexpensive and shiny new Chinese student horn.
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

Within 17 days, you'll know which horn you prefer. If the Bach isn't your favorite, you have two options:

1. Sell the Bach.
2. Keep the Bach. Trip over it in the spare room. Move it to your next two homes. Then sell the Bach.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

jorymil wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:38 pm
Glad that WBI is still running well. Both my parents graduated from WSU, and I too am glad that Wichita has it: it's the only urban university in Kansas. Now that I've traveled a lot more in my life, I'm able to appreciate that a little more.
There is also Washburn University in Topeka.

Return to “Instruments”