Bach 50B F Attachment Tuning Slides

Fairlane57

Bach 50B F Attachment Tuning Slides

Post by Fairlane57 »

Were the tuning slides for the F attachment consistent in dimensions throughout New York, Mount Vernon and Elkhart productions for the 50B?

Thanks, Bob
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 50B F Attachment Tuning Slides

Post by Burgerbob »

I doubt it, just knowing Bach, even if they were the same on paper.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:09 pm I doubt it, just knowing Bach, even if they were the same on paper.
BOO this man. Many things are consistent. Main Tuning slides for all fit from all my varieties. Crazy consistent unless you are discussing parts that have design changes. For horns they've been making for 80 years to have so many pieces fit exactly

That said, my NY Bach F. Attachment is something like ~.585 instead of the modern ~.593. I could check with some calipers if you need me too, but It was different enough that I sought out a period valve section to build a slot-in valve. (project still on the bench)

Cheers,
Andy

[Edit] Just did a quick OD check on the inners, Current is ~.630, NY is ~.615
Fairlane57

Post by Fairlane57 »

elmsandr wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 am
Burgerbob wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:09 pm I doubt it, just knowing Bach, even if they were the same on paper.
BOO this man. Many things are consistent. Main Tuning slides for all fit from all my varieties. Crazy consistent unless you are discussing parts that have design changes. For horns they've been making for 80 years to have so many pieces fit exactly

That said, my NY Bach F. Attachment is something like ~.585 instead of the modern ~.593. I could check with some calipers if you need me too, but It was different enough that I sought out a period valve section to build a slot-in valve. (project still on the bench)

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy
Thanks for the measurements. I will check what mine measures.

Bob
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

elmsandr wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 am

Cheers,
Andy

I think my success with main tuning slides is something like 50%.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:30 am I think my success with main tuning slides is something like 50%.
Span, yes. Maybe even less... But diameter? For something that should be lapped to fit and all hand assembled, I am generally impressed by how interchangeable the components are across decades of manufacture.

Overall, I find the inconsistency in Bach parts isn't the sizing or the shape. It is in the assembly and in some limited instances, design changes on the same component.*

Cheers,
Andy

*really Vinny.. when you change the taper on the leadpipe, just use a different part number!

Return to “Instruments”