Bach 50B Valve question

dukesboneman

Bach 50B Valve question

Post by dukesboneman »

I recently sold my Yamaha 321 Bass and bought a Bach 50B double trigger.
I love the dark rich sound but the low range doesn`t seem to "POP" like the Yamaha did.
Are Bach Bass rotors as open as other brands? Or do I just need to get used to it?
Thanks
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 50B Valve question

Post by Burgerbob »

Those valves are probably the worst fitted to most any pro bass, especially one with such a high capability like the 50.

I think there are some random examples out there that are fine as is, but I haven't played one myself. On my last 50B3OG, it made a great sound until I put any dynamic into it, and it started to lose all core and center to the sound. With the Shires rotors I replaced the valves with, it was an amazing instrument.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I had really good luck with The Olsen valve on my 42BO
I was considering that option
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

dukesboneman wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:34 pm I had really good luck with The Olsen valve on my 42BO
I was considering that option
It's the cheapest, most simple option. I've also had a 50 with olsens that was pretty great.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bach valves for the 42 and 50 are usually considered undersized, especially with respect to the ports. Osmun brass and other companies have offered opening rotor ports as a standard mod for decades due to this. Bach unfortunately has no trouble selling horns with those rotors, so they have little to no motivation to fix the issue, especially when they offer third party valves a nice hefty upcharge.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Some of it is going from a single valve to a double, but I'm also in agreement that Bach rotary valves are rarely very good without modification or replacement.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

On my 50, I replaced the Bach rotors with Olsen rotors. Easier to play, more even across registers, and they don’t “back up” in the valve register. I also replaced the after-market Thayers on my 42 with an Olsen valve. Same result.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I've posted this before, but here is a photo of a Bach 50B rotor, with a .594" steel ball in the port. As you can see, there is a substantial amount of the ball sitting outside the valve port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

I had the ports opened up. No issues now.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Metal bell horn here is a corp 50 bell with one of my valvesets. Played quite well, no comparison to stock valves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass

Return to “Instruments”