Rath with TIS

hyperbolica

Rath with TIS

Post by hyperbolica »

I was poking around the Rath site and saw that they now offer TIS on large and small bore tenors. An R2 (510 bore) with a nickel bell, a valve and TIS would be a horn I'd love to play.

Has anyone played a Rath TIS? Do the bells still come modular? The neckpipe/valve section wouldn't be compatible with one from a tuning-in-bell horn, would it?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Rath with TIS

Post by Matt K »

If they're like the other TIS models they have, they are. They have a picture of one on their website that s a little low resolution but does follow the pattern of bass and altos that I've seen. Basically, instead of having a neckpipe/valve and a tunign slide, you have a J bend with a valve on it that substitutes for both parts. Then in the section I highlight in this image in red, you have an "arm" that attaches to the bell and he threaded nut keeps the arm attached, rather than having two braces that are parallel with the bell:
R4Fst-Bell-section-500-352.jpg
EDIT: Their picture of a TIB bass demonstrates better how it attaches:
R9-Header-2017-1-1110x550.jpeg
I actually really like this method they have of bracing. I don't know long-term if it holds up as well structurally as having two cross braces. I tried to have a valve made like this on my Shires but ultimately, it didn't quite make sense to go that route so I ended up not doing it.

I've never A/B compared but the altos I've tried (which are TIS) are pretty spectacular. The extra weight of the tuning mechanism isn't too bad, but still something I'd rather not deal with. I'd prefer to have a no-tuning instrument and just have it set a little sharp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SwissTbone

Re: Rath with TIS

Post by SwissTbone »

Matt K wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:19 am
I actually really like this method they have of bracing. I don't know long-term if it holds up as well structurally as having two cross braces. I tried to have a valve made like this on my Shires but ultimately, it didn't quite make sense to go that route so I ended up not doing it.
I too like this method of bracing. Unfortunately when the solder on that small part comes off, it's hard to repair. Had this happen on a R3F to me and had to repair it twice.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Instruments”