Edwards Fitting

isaynaynay57

Edwards Fitting

Post by isaynaynay57 »

Anyone who had a fitting for edwards, what was it like? I'm getting a fit done soon and I'd love to know what it's like.
ZacharyThornton

Re: Edwards Fitting

Post by ZacharyThornton »

An experience. No lie, Christan has the best ears in the industry.
Have fun checking out the factory and try all the stuff.
Listen and trust Christan fitting you.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I have been twice. I no longer play Edwards but the experience was great non the less. I recommend doing the fitting the day after you arrive just to give yourself a chance to relax from traveling. I also recommend not eating too much before your appointment. Not fun playing on a full belly. I recommend finding two contrasting examples of music which represents the bulk of your playing, and memorizing it if you are comfortable with that. Almost pretend you are trying the recommendations blind folded and let your ears guide you. Christan is a master at this so please trust his instinct. I don't recommend asking what the components are just so you totally immersed in listening. You can look it over after the session. Finally, if you are not 100% sure you want an Edwards don't feel obligated to buy one. Although you can certainly buy and return it. However, if you know right away its not for you Christan will totally understand. In the end if you decide to get it realize all horns are compromises so decide relatively early if you want to change components and then stick with it. This is one of the reasons I got away from component horns because I was constantly tinkering and it drove me crazy.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I went into my fittings not wanting to know what pieces of equipment were being used - they put something together, I played, we shared reactions/thoughts, and moved on. In other words, I didn't want my preconceived notions of what would fit me best get in the way of what actually fit me best.
Ellefson

Post by Ellefson »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:59 am [snip]...Christan has the best ears in the industry.
I completely agree.

PE
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I was at the factory getting some work done on a couple of my horns a few years ago. Long story, but they decided to replace my thayer - it took about 24 hours, so I had the rest of one day and the next morning to hang around at Edwards. I tried a bunch of stuff, and when my horn was back from the shop area I tried it, along with a couple of other combinations that I had thought I might buy. Christan listened carefully to everything else I had picked out against my horn (now without a leaky valve). He told me that my original horn was the best sounding combo. I thought that was the most honest thing that I could imagine from a representative of an instrument company. He could have pushed me to buy a new expensive instrument, and instead he encouraged me to stay with what I already owned. Class act, and great ears!

Jim Scott
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

He also designs really good mouthpieces
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Don't ask what parts are in the horn until after you are going to buy it. Tell Christian how it feels and let him do his thing.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
isaynaynay57

Post by isaynaynay57 »

Update

I wound up purchasing a new Edwards mouthpiece for my current horn! It's better, but ultimately I like bass trombone better. This fall, in my second year at Oberlin, I'll be switching to bass trombone officially!
rwallace7

Post by rwallace7 »

Christan did a fantastic job for me. I highly recommend that you trust his guidance.

Return to “Instruments”