Medium bore trombones - why?

BGuttman

Re: Medium bore trombones - why?

Post by BGuttman »

I personally think the Medium Bore is being given the short shrift by the teaching community. A student who is not planning a career as a symphony player or in the film studios has no particular need of a large instrument. Size of student really doesn't matter, though. I played with a bass trombonist who was a five foot nothing wisp of a girl who could blow down the house on her Bach 50.

Teachers worried about sound on the football field would do better with a kid on a small bore who can be heard than a kid on a large bore who can't. Then again, I'm a fan of the cheap trombone in marching band where appearance often means more than actual sound.

I've found that a medium bore is a very versatile horn. Maybe you can't win the audition to the Boston Symphony on one, but once you have the job the medium bore horn fits nicely in many playing situations. And outside of Symphony Hall, a medium bore works very well (as I have said before) for a multitude of applications.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

asmith wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:13 pm
I think the post that Harrison took issue with was not necessarily mine, but one a little further down.
Totally agree. It's not worth me explaining any further, other than that the topic as started is not about little kids. I was in no way debating the merits of step up horns for kids, and have no interest in doing that.

At the end of the day, if you sound awesome and love playing a 36b, that's your answer.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I wish I "sounded awesome" - but I don't.
However I do love playing my vintage Conn 79H (and also enjoyed the Bach 36B that preceded it). Especially now that I'm no longer playing in a larrge symphony orchestra! Medium bore trombones definitely have their place.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Harrisonreed’s metaphor does not support the argument for only large bore horns. The CDL applicant in many states need only arrive at the practical test with a 2 axle (1 steering (front) axle and 1 driver (rear) axle) tractor, a single axle trailer, and air brakes. To avoid restriction to automatic (or computer shifted manual) transmissions, Road Ranger (10 speed) and/or Splitter (13 to 18 speed) transmissions are not specified. To avoid any restriction on their Class A CDL, the applicant need only arrive to the test with a 5 speed manual transmission, 2 axle tractor, a 1 axle 26 foot trailer, and air brakes, if such a rig could be found. Some operators have run that way, however. More applicants would utilize the smaller rig, but that combination is rarer than a medium bore horn. Operable trailers less than 26 feet might be allowed but are even more rare. With super single wheels and tires, the 18 wheeler just morphed into a 6 wheeler. Long live the French orchestras. Did anyone ever see a French orchestra section playing Bach 6 trombones?

Why, you may ask, use fewer axles and shorter trailers? Road and bridge load restrictions are based on weight per axle and length between axles. Why use a 4 pound sledge if a framing hammer will do?
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

I play a King 3b+F (2125F) as my main (only) tenor with F attachment. I play in community jazz band, community band, and pit orchestra. It works great for what I do.
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
teotrombone

Post by teotrombone »

Hello

I see it a bit like using a knife.
You can cut everything with a very big sharp knife. But you can take also a smaller one and make cutting easier or more precise for different things.

I have many instruments and I love to change them for different repertoire.
But I still do my daily stuff on one and same instrument.
:hi:
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

teotrombone wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:23 pm I have many instruments and I love to change them for different repertoire.
But I still do my daily stuff on one and same instrument.
You have a nice collection of Benge trombones! What's your "daily?"
teotrombone

Post by teotrombone »

You have a nice collection of Benge trombones! What's your "daily?"
[/quote]

I use my 190F newer model for a daily horn.
I don’t know why, but I never had the opportunity to try a bad Benge.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

As someone that played Conn 78H`s and Bach 36`s ONLY for about 25 years, I really like that size.
Now currently I do most of my playing on a BachLT12G , If I had to go down to only ONE tenor it would be my Mount Vernon Lt36.
I Play in a sextet (2 trombones, tenor sax, Piano, Bass & Drums) where the 2nd trombonist plays a 36.So I use my 36 and the blend is great and slightly bigger than 2 small bore horns.
Brass quintet I use the 36. I 1st used my 42BO but it sounded to big and heavy.
That size horn is incredibly versatile and is , IMO the best All-around horn size

Return to “Instruments”