Valve Trombone Leadpipes

Matt K
Verified

Valve Trombone Leadpipes

Post by Matt K »

Something that just occurred to me that I don't believe I've ever heard mentioned is how (or even if) valve sections differ from slide sections in terms of the venturi/leadpipe. For example, several manufacturers offer a valved version of a more ubiquitous slide version: YSL354, King 2B/3B, and Bach 16 all come to mind. Are the mouthpiece receivers, leadpipes, venturi, etc. the same for the comparative model such that if I ordered say a 354 leadpipe it would be the same for the 354 and 354V? I just picked up the Conn 5 valve trombone from a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to play it yet (and therefore was already thinking of ways to modify it :lol: )
BGuttman

Re: Valve Trombone Leadpipes

Post by BGuttman »

Pairing a Conn 5G valve section with a 6H bell is a common combination and generally works quite well. If I recall correctly, King, Bach, and Yamaha all use same leadpipes on both valve and slide versions.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Just search the Conn-Selmer and Yamaha parts databases and all be revealed.

Hours of fun for the whole family.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't think so. Usually valve trombones are set up like trumpets, with a two-piece leadpipe/receiver.

Also, the King valve sections are a different bore than either of the trombones- they're all .481.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

ithinknot wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:46 am Just search the Conn-Selmer and Yamaha parts databases and all be revealed.

Hours of fun for the whole family.
Bach 16 and V16 have different part numbers; 43032 and 33630. Their where used function doesn't say that the valve version is used on any regular slide trombones. It also doesn't tell you what the difference is; the difference could just be length and the exterior is buffed, but they are different part numbers.

The Yamaha is the same P/N for both; D0130700

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Interesting, thanks for all the responses, everyone. Didn't realize the bore size on the Kings was so small. From what I gather, the 5G one that I just picked up is a larger, .500.

My line of thinking was that the valved instruments may give extra resistance that wouldn't be there on a slide, so something more "open" might be used with those instruments. Would be interesting to compare say, the 16V vs a 16B leadipe and see what they did differently.

For this one, I think I will probably see if someone can pull the pipe on it and, God willing with the way the pandemic is going, bring it on over to ATW or something and try out a bunch of leadpipes on it and see if I can find something that works for it.

Kicking myself a little as I had an "elliptical", copper crook that was .500 that I put on another horn that now that I'm thinking about it, would love to put on this and see how it responds. It currently has what appears to be a pretty tight dual radius crook that visibly seems undersized. Might just be that the tubes are really thick and the IDs match.

Return to “Instruments”