Anyone tried this??

WGWTR180

Anyone tried this??

Post by WGWTR180 »

Has anyone tried this instrument in any configuration??

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/ba ... s-trombone
eatanick

Re: Anyone tried this??

Post by eatanick »

I wish I had! I think Martin van den Berg (Metropole Orchestra, Concertgebouw Jazz Orchestra etc.) played one for quite a while, though it looks like he's been using some sort of Thein with a Duo Gravis Silversonic bell for big band work recently. I liked his sound on the Kuhnl.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ohhhh. They have a dependent version too! https://www.hornguys.com/collections/ba ... ked-rotors

That first valve cover looks pretty beefy. I wonder what's under it? I'm guessing it's some type of weight due to how far it sticks out. Seems pretty heavily built, but looks an be deceiving.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

eatanick wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:05 am I wish I had! I think Martin van den Berg (Metropole Orchestra, Concertgebouw Jazz Orchestra etc.) played one for quite a while, though it looks like he's been using some sort of Thein with a Duo Gravis Silversonic bell for big band work recently. I liked his sound on the Kuhnl.
I believe there's a video floating around with him soloing with the Jazz Orchestra.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, I've played the couple that were at hornguys. I thought they were OK, nothing that really caught my attention.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

WGWTR180 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:46 am I believe there's a video floating around with him soloing with the Jazz Orchestra.
I remember looking up K&H horns back when Ben posted that video. I think the horn he's playing there might be the previous iteration of the ones at Hornguys. The dependent model they actually called their "Big Band Bass".
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 am Yes, I've played the couple that were at hornguys. I thought they were OK, nothing that really caught my attention.
I like the design of the horn but always curious as to what sound I'd get out of it. What did it remind you of?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I played the older version of the dependent orchestral configuration almost 20 years ago for a few years.

All K&H trombones are certainly great from a technical/craftmanship perspective.
I remember that it played really easily.
However it MAY have been a little bit "anonymous" in the same way as many people think Yamahas play.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

MStarke wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:41 am I played the older version of the dependent orchestral configuration almost 20 years ago for a few years.

All K&H trombones are certainly great from a technical/craftmanship perspective.
However it MAY have been a little bit "anonymous" in the same way as many people think Yamahas play.
Thanks. Good to know. BTW you and I are communicating about mouthpieces right now. :)
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:14 am
MStarke wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:41 am I played the older version of the dependent orchestral configuration almost 20 years ago for a few years.

Thanks. Good to know. BTW you and I are communicating about mouthpieces right now. :)
:-D That's what I was guessing ;-)
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:24 am
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 am Yes, I've played the couple that were at hornguys. I thought they were OK, nothing that really caught my attention.
I like the design of the horn but always curious as to what sound I'd get out of it. What did it remind you of?
I'd have to agree with Starke, it was a fine horn but was a bit "anonymous" as he says. I wouldn't say it sounds like a Yamaha, but it has that same quality of being hard to pin down. Perfect for some people!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:28 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:24 am

I'd have to agree with Starke, it was a fine horn but was a bit "anonymous" as he says. I wouldn't say it sounds like a Yamaha, but it has that same quality of being hard to pin down. Perfect for some people!
thx. And I know a lot of it has to do with the player and each one's approach, etc..... but didn't really know too many who play these instruments, no one in the US, and was curious as to why they'd be available here.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:10 am
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:28 am

thx. And I know a lot of it has to do with the player and each one's approach, etc..... but didn't really know too many who play these instruments, no one in the US, and was curious as to why they'd be available here.
I have a colleague who plays an older one. It was a lot less expensive than a Bach, Conn, or Holton. He's primarily a tenor player, so a fancy bass wasn't really needed. Besides, he's also a keyboard player and good pianos and other keyboard instruments command a lot more money than a trombone.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I've tried different configurations when I visited Adams in March this year, horns play great, well built but I just didn't get along with the ergonomics, difficult to hold etc.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

BoomtownRath wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:33 pm I've tried different configurations when I visited Adams in March this year, horns play great, well built but I just didn't get along with the ergonomics, difficult to hold etc.
Well that's interesting. Why was it difficult to hold and for some perspective what is your current bass trombone? Thanks.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.......

There is bracing that runs between the thumb and forefinger (like a king 6B) and the bracing on the slide where you grip it is angled (for comfort I presume) but I found it had the opposite effect. Just very uncomfortable ergonomically. I'm currently playing a Rath R9 and a bach 50B3O, prefer the bach

Return to “Instruments”