Yamaha YBL-830 case/brace question

MTbassbone

Yamaha YBL-830 case/brace question

Post by MTbassbone »

I am looking at the case for the YBL-830, and it does not appear there is room to leave a hand brace (Bullet Brace, Ax Handle, etc) on the horn while its in the case. I am not a huge fan of the leather straps. Anyone know if the threaded hard point of the Hagmann brace could stay on while its in the case? I could get a different case, but I do not like having empty cases sitting in my house. Anyone have experiences with this issue?
Burgerbob

Re: Yamaha YBL-830 case/brace question

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm not sure it could. The case is pretty hard up against the bell brace. Of course, you could just cut some case away or use a different aftermarket case.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It wouldn't work. I've got one right here next to me
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I guess Yamaha wants you to buy their strap. LOL
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

MTbassbone wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm I guess Yamaha wants you to buy their strap. LOL
It costs what? $15?

I think I paid $12 for mine a few years ago.

I had a Rath handbrace on my Yam 620. Didn’t fit in the case and I felt like I was close to damaging the horn when I clamped it to the brace. I ended up wearing a bike glove on my left hand to make it comfortable. Ultimately more trouble than it was worth.
Last edited by Bach5G on Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 pm
MTbassbone wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm I guess Yamaha wants you to buy their strap. LOL
It costs what? $15?

I think I paid $12 for mine a few years ago.
I hear ya. Pretty inexpensive. I tried the Leather Specialties strap on another horn once, but it was not very stable IMHO. I have used a Bullet Brace for years.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I love the leather specialties strap (including on the 830). It does take some time to get used to, but it's a lot less intrusive than some of the bolt-on options.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
chobone

Post by chobone »

MTbassbone wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:33 pm I am looking at the case for the YBL-830, and it does not appear there is room to leave a hand brace (Bullet Brace, Ax Handle, etc) on the horn while its in the case. I am not a huge fan of the leather straps. Anyone know if the threaded hard point of the Hagmann brace could stay on while its in the case? I could get a different case, but I do not like having empty cases sitting in my house. Anyone have experiences with this issue?
I had a similar issue with my Ax Handle and my 830. I didn't want to buy another case so I took an x-acto and cut out a chunk out of the foam underneath the lining. Afterward I glued the remaining flap onto the foam underneath and it fit perfectly. I'm assuming you could do the same thing with the hagmann brace without compromising protection (in the area highlighted by the green box). I hope yamaha makes a little more room for braces/handles in their future cases. Hope this helped.
IMG_3018.jpeg
IMG_3019.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

chobone wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:12 am
MTbassbone wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:33 pm I am looking at the case for the YBL-830, and it does not appear there is room to leave a hand brace (Bullet Brace, Ax Handle, etc) on the horn while its in the case. I am not a huge fan of the leather straps. Anyone know if the threaded hard point of the Hagmann brace could stay on while its in the case? I could get a different case, but I do not like having empty cases sitting in my house. Anyone have experiences with this issue?
I had a similar issue with my Ax Handle and my 830. I didn't want to buy another case so I took an x-acto and cut out a chunk out of the foam underneath the lining. Afterward I glued the remaining flap onto the foam underneath and it fit perfectly. I'm assuming you could do the same thing with the hagmann brace without compromising protection (in the area highlighted by the green box). I hope yamaha makes a little more room for braces/handles in their future cases. Hope this helped.

IMG_3018.jpeg
IMG_3019.jpeg
That is super helpful. Thanks for the pictures.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It looks like a Greenhoe rest bar would work if you can find a used one too.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Matt K wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:07 pm It looks like a Greenhoe rest bar would work if you can find a used one too.
Greenhoe/ Schilke is offering them now. Not sure on availability. Also not sure about the hose clamp and soldering down.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I was able to get the horn to fit in the Yamaha case with an ax handle on. Initially I was going to cut the fabric and the remove some foam, but I tried a few other options first. The way I made it work was using an F clamp to compress the foam. It took a few tries, and lot of clamping pressure. The fabric did not break, but had compress a few areas to get it to fit. I am pretty happy with the outcome.

Return to “Instruments”