Yamaha Xeno Valves

MTbassbone

Yamaha Xeno Valves

Post by MTbassbone »

Did Yamaha use the same valves across the Xeno line? Slightly oversized rotor I think.
Burgerbob

Re: Yamaha Xeno Valves

Post by Burgerbob »

Some have different port orientations, but yes, largely the same.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:27 pm Some have different port orientations, but yes, largely the same.
Basically slightly oversized rotor right? I played an 830 today. It was nice, but I didn't have a brace or strap to work with so it felt like it wanted to tip backward a bit.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The YSL-882OR is mentioned as having a "balanced response rotor" which sounds like it is internally ported

"The balanced response rotor system helps air release evenly into the F-attachment slide creating a smoother transition from the Bb open horn to the engaged F-attachment."

All of the other Xeno horns seem to have standard rotors. The YBL-830 does mention that both rotors spin in the same direction, which is supposed to give a smoother slur into the valve register. The previous 613H had the F valve rotate the usual direction, while the G/Gb valve rotated in the opposite direction.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

There’s a Japan-only Xeno with their version of an axial called a V-valve. Comes with a wider slide for more clearance.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

MTbassbone wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:11 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:27 pm Some have different port orientations, but yes, largely the same.
Basically slightly oversized rotor right? I played an 830 today. It was nice, but I didn't have a brace or strap to work with so it felt like it wanted to tip backward a bit.
Yup. The cores are lightened as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”