What To Do to Test a Horn Before Buying?

drintoul

What To Do to Test a Horn Before Buying?

Post by drintoul »

I am going to Dillon Music to try out large bore Bb/F horns for orchestral playing. I am looking at used instruments in the $2,000 to $4,000 range. Other than bringing some standard orchestral audition stuff (Tuba Mirum, Ride of the Valkyries, etc.), to play to see if I like the sound of the instrument, is there anything else I should be doing?
_________
Rath 4F, Hammond 12MI
Yamaha YSL3530R, Bach 61/2AL
BGuttman

Re: What To Do to Test a Horn Before Buying?

Post by BGuttman »

An extra set of ears (if possible). A friend, teacher, etc. Somebody who will listen critically.

If you can, take a small recorder with you (like a Zoom) and record a snippet on each horn so you can listen critically off line.

Have a nice little piece (a Rochut, part of a solo, etc.) to play on each horn so you can get a feel for how the horn relates to you and how you relate to the horn.

Note that a big part of orchestral playing is how you blend in with your section. Unfortunately that's one thing you probably won't be able to test at Dillon's. Still, the impartial ears can be a big help.

Good luck and let us know what you bought and why.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I don't know who all works there but I do know Adam and Jose, and they should be able to give you good advice.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Lastbone

Post by Lastbone »

Make sure you have plenty of time to try the horns -- you don't want to rush it...

When I try a horn or mouthpiece, I want to know how the horn sounds and responds almost dead cold. In orchestral playing the bones are out for about a million measures, and then have to come in loud. Usually on some unstable note, at that. So I want it to give me a good sound and predictable response cold. If it doesn't play naturally for you cold it won't give you the confidence to play at your best.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Dillon’s has a fine reputation so they will be able to assist

Are you a student? If so have you discussed it with your teacher?

Are you someone who plays for enjoyment, then buy the one you like to play the most
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

If a high E is in your usual range, see how the horn responds on that note. A comfortable slotting E is a great indicator of quality. Also a solid feel to the Ab below that. Those notes are a litmus test for horn quality.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
drintoul

Post by drintoul »

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I got a demo Rath 4F and a Hammond 12MI mouthpiece. Jose was a huge help. And I did bring my professional harpist wife along to listen, and she agreed that it was the one with the best sound for me at Dillon Music.
_________
Rath 4F, Hammond 12MI
Yamaha YSL3530R, Bach 61/2AL
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I really like to test intonation and how it responds across the entire range. It's a little obnoxious when people are listening, but I like to glis each partial slowly to make sure each note responds evenly.

It's best if you have someone else who you often play with so you can hear the horns in a familiar context. And of course use a tuner.

Return to “Instruments”