Differences between Olds Recording and Recording w/f

hyperbolica

Differences between Olds Recording and Recording w/f

Post by hyperbolica »

What are the differences between the straight Recording and the Recording w/F? I know the bells are different (8 vs 8.5), but how about the tuning slides? Are they interchangeable? Would it be feasible to add a valve to a straight horn? It looks like you'd have to at least remove 2 braces, but if the distance from the neckpipe to the bell centerlines is different, it would require a different tuning slide, and wouldn't really be feasible.
JohnL

Re: Differences between Olds Recording and Recording w/f

Post by JohnL »

I think the tuning slides are the same. Olds compensated for the larger bell by having an offset between the mainline valve knuckles on the R-20.
knuckle.jpg
I'll try to remember to measure my R-20 this evening.

I've considered the possibility of fitting an R-15 bell flare/tail to a R-20, but I wouldn't want to hack up a working instrument (or two) just to appease my curiosity, and the necessary parts haven't come my way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Ah, I see, so you'd have to extend the main bell brace. There's a Recording valve and wrap for sale on ebay. I was thinking about it, but I don't think ill do it if it's not just a drop in replacement. Thanks for pointing out that offset. I didn't notice that.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:56 pm Ah, I see, so you'd have to extend the main bell brace. There's a Recording valve and wrap for sale on ebay. I was thinking about it, but I don't think ill do it if it's not just a drop in replacement. Thanks for pointing out that offset. I didn't notice that.
There might be enough extension in the R-15 brace to compensate for the offset (I think it's less than 1/2") - or you could just use a piece of copper tubing to extend the brace (the advantage of three-piece braces vs. the one-piece design used on Supers). You'd still need to find the saddle for the lever, though.

I think a better use for this setup would be someone who has an R-20 (or close cousin, like an A20 or V-20) with a cracked/twisted knuckle.
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

Tuning slide width is not the same for the R15 vs. the R20.

~4.69" for the straight Recording.

~5.24" for the Recording w F- attachment.

Return to “Instruments”