New To Olds

peblake

New To Olds

Post by peblake »

I have recently acquired a 1954-1955 Super. I am curious about its value. I found it in a thrift shop, of all places. It is in beautiful shape, minus one dent that I will have repaired. Any help would be great.
Posaunus

Re: New To Olds

Post by Posaunus »

Olds Super: Perhaps $200-$500 depending on condition (especially of the duo-octagonal slide)?
These are really nice trombones if well-maintained. Fun to play.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If you check out completed sales on ebay, they go ~$350- 850, but I would say they generally bring less than that. They are cool, look great, and play great, but they are out of fashion for some reason. The small bore Olds are a little heavy and play darker. It's the combo of brass and nickel silver that gives them the great tone. I've got a Recording and I won't sell it for what people seem to want to pay ($350-500). If the lacquer is in good shape, you get more, regardless of how it plays.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I’ve got a special and a recording, well made, solid and play well. Tend to be nose heavy in my experience and have benefited by adding a counterweight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:18 am If you check out completed sales on ebay, they go ~$350- 850...
Yeah, $850 is pretty much the top end, and that's for one in really nice condition. "Used but not abused" goes for more like $500 on a good day.

There are a few really rare variants that can command higher prices, but they're, well, really rare.
peblake

Post by peblake »

Thanks everyone. I, being an orchestral player, find it a bit stuffy. I do also have a King 3B. Is the Super more like a 2B bore size?
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

oocities.org shows:

MODEL
DIAMETER
AVERAGE

King 2B
0.481 - 0.491

Olds Super
0.485 - 0.500

The average of the dual bores is given for reference only. I confess that I haven’t taken my Super to a gig since I got a 2B. 0.0065 inches difference in diameter is not as huge as it looks. The 2B might have a little more color at pianissimo and get more raspier sounding than the Super if pushed. I am comfortable with either on lead, 2nd, or 3rd though the Super might be slightly better on 3rd. It probably is more apparent to the player than to the audience.

Note: My 2B is older and may have a thicker bell and bead than newer ones.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Instruments”