Grachan Moncur III equipment?

dukesboneman

Grachan Moncur III equipment?

Post by dukesboneman »

as of the last week or so, I`ve been really into Grachan Moncur III`s playing and writing. I`ve been listening alot and I`ve picked up a couple recordings I used to have and a couple I never had.
I was just wondering, what set-up (Mouthpiece & Horn) did/does he play? He`s kind of flown under the radar for years. He has a very interesting concept. Cool sound and his ideas aren`t coming from the standard directions .
Thanks
chromebone

Re: Grachan Moncur III equipment?

Post by chromebone »

I’ve seen many earlier pictures of him with a 3B but I think he also played an Olds Opera at some point and also a Bach 16.
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

He apparently plays a grey mouthpiece :biggrin:

He plays on 1 or 2 tunes on Archie Shepp and Roswell Rudd's "Live in New York." It's on Spotify. I forget which tune(s), but that's where I first heard him.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

The mouthpiece could either be a Black Kelly or a Dragon Breath Giddings.
Or a really tarnished bach
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It actually kind of resembles one of the non-transparent blue or similarish blue color to me:
jet black.jpg
Mouthpiece.PNG
Looks like that video was 2008 and I don't think the dragons breath was a thing until like 2-3 years ago (?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Matt K wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm Looks like that video was 2008 and I don't think the dragons breath was a thing until like 2-3 years ago (?)
Well, not with that attitude. The legend has to start somewhere!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The mouthpiece in this 2008 video sure looks like a Kelly (Lexan plastic) piece, perhaps 12C or possibly 6½AL, in "Crystal Blue."

https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmtrom ... /index.asp

The trombone appears to be a King 3B. (Bell looks larger than a 2B.)

I must say that - though I am a jazz lover - I am not moved by his playing.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:10 pm
Matt K wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm Looks like that video was 2008 and I don't think the dragons breath was a thing until like 2-3 years ago (?)
Well, not with that attitude. The legend has to start somewhere!
Arthur and the titanium mouthpiece in the stone!
Posaunus wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:45 pm The mouthpiece in this 2008 video sure looks like a Kelly (Lexan plastic) piece, perhaps 12C or possibly 6½AL, in "Crystal Blue."
It might be an old color but I have one that isn’t transparent at all in 1.5G size that’s just a touch brighter than this one. I think the crystal colors came later. I wonder why they don’t seem to have them anymore. I always found the really vibrant colors to be kind of ridiculous in an otherwise brass instrument even when I was a kid. They offered a gold one for awhile or perhaps still do on some models that I’m a little surprised they don’t offer in every size… they might actually get better adoption. The pieces aren’t bad, or at least the trumpet and French horn ones aren’t. I’m not a fan of the trombone ones they have available though.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Grachan`s work in the 1960`s and 70`s was incredible.
He`s 84 now. The Now`s the time video is a later one
I hope I can still pick up my horn at 84 (much less still be alive0

Return to “Instruments”