What slides fit what other horns?

quiethorn

What slides fit what other horns?

Post by quiethorn »

Are there any hard and fast rules for what brand slides fit what other brand bells? Like a slide by XX will usually fit a bell section by YY? Or is it kinda hit and miss?
Burgerbob

Re: What slides fit what other horns?

Post by Burgerbob »

for large bores and basses:

edwards and bach- same (shires is close enough to work)

conn and getzens for a good while now- same ('90s and maybe some early '00s getzens are Bach connectors like Edwards)

There are others that can be swapped around, of course. But these are the most common.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Anybody know what fits a yamaha 356r?
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Kdanielsen wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:17 am Anybody know what fits a yamaha 356r?
Basically all the medium bore Yamaha slides are compatible. 356, 445, 446, 645, 646, 630.. I think there are a few others. Incidentally, the medium bore slides seem to fit on the large bore slides because the tenon is the same other than the threads, which are in a slightly lowe rposition... so I'm able to put my 356 slide on a 548 slide. I'm about 90% sure it'll also fit on the 800 series large bore tenors as well. I'm a little mystified why they'd even make a separate one for the large bores but that decision was probably made decades ago.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Matt K wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:33 am
Kdanielsen wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:17 am Anybody know what fits a yamaha 356r?
Basically all the medium bore Yamaha slides are compatible. 356, 445, 446, 645, 646, 630.. I think there are a few others. Incidentally, the medium bore slides seem to fit on the large bore slides because the tenon is the same other than the threads, which are in a slightly lowe rposition... so I'm able to put my 356 slide on a 548 slide. I'm about 90% sure it'll also fit on the 800 series large bore tenors as well. I'm a little mystified why they'd even make a separate one for the large bores but that decision was probably made decades ago.
Thank you!!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Sure thing, I should add a caveat to that description... it fits but I have to go out of my way to make sure its tightened and comes loose more easily than if it were properly sized. But it works, nonetheless!
HermanGerman

Post by HermanGerman »

My dual bore Yamaha slide .500/.525 (YSL 356) fits the wonderful XO 1634 (.508). It sounds great! A very nice addition to the original slide. The sound gets even bigger and warmer.
All you have to do is to buy a XO 1634 and a YSL 356 slide. You get two very nice options for a price that is lower than buying a new King/Rath/Yamaha .......
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

Can the slide tenons be replaced on the 354 slide?

So, I bought a really nice 356R bell section for cheap. I also have a complete 354 my son uses. I was wondering if I can replace the slide tenon on the 354 slide with one from a medium bore Yamaha.

Thanks!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Rrova wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:46 am Can the slide tenons be replaced on the 354 slide?

So, I bought a really nice 356R bell section for cheap. I also have a complete 354 my son uses. I was wondering if I can replace the slide tenon on the 354 slide with one from a medium bore Yamaha.

Thanks!

So this timing is good. I just sold a 646 slide to someone and they might be interested in my 356 slide instead. Are you interested in buying a slide instead? One/both of us can reach out to you with details. The problem you're going to run into with the 354 is twofold. The first is that the 356 is actually, essentially, a large bore instrument so the 500 bore slide probably wouldn't work very well on it even if you could attach it and 2) the 354 slides I've seen are all one-piece cork barrels. That doesn't mean it's impossible, and Yamaha does make parts easily available, but you're probably looking at replacing a good portion of the handslide to make it work. So by the time its all said-and-done you're looking at something akin to the cost of a used slide.

If you went that route, you'd have a slide for both bell sections too rather than one that would only work with the larger slide.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Yamaha 641/643 bells (red brass) and slides (.551 bore, nickel silver outers and crook) are interchangeable with a Conn 8H or 88H.

IME the 641/643 bells are typically on the heavier side, so if you have a 1950's 8H or 88H with the typical lighter bell and red brass outers, adding a 641 or 643 to the mix will give you four distinct permutations of sound and blow.

Return to “Instruments”