Alto Trombone

whitbey

Alto Trombone

Post by whitbey »

I am thinking of an upgrade for my alto trombone. I have a Conn 34H now.

My favorite tenor is an Edwards Sterling silver bell with a nickle slide. I always play dual bore slides. I am really sure that for me an alto sterling silver bell with a nickle slide is the way I should go.

Mark Lawrence has always been a favorite of mine. Many years ago I noticed he played a Glassl with a sterling silver bell. So Glassl is a likely thought. I was hoping Edwards would have there new alto up, but with the pandemic things like that are behind. So I am on the prowl looking for an alto. I am open to ideas, but I am pretty sure of the sterling silver bell / nickle slide.

I understand that Glassl is no longer made but a new company has bought the tooling. I am not sure about the new version yet.

So I have questions. Hoping to find some answers.

Anyone seen prices on a Glassl alto?

Are the slides dual bore?

Do they have convertible or fixed trill valves?

Anyone played one? What did you think?

Who has these for sale? Can they be tried?

The German horns have been a favorite, but with the pandemic it seems like obtaining a horn with or without trial will be a challenge. Hoping I can find something stateside.

Any ideas?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Matt K
Verified

Re: Alto Trombone

Post by Matt K »

You're probably thinking of Markus Leuchter. What you are after apears to be a standard option with Brassark: https://brassark.com/new.html from them. I don't see nickel slide but I'd be surprised if it wasn't an option. Dual bore. Their site https://m-leuchter.de/en/2.html looks like they have an optional, drop in Bb valve, so they should be able to to trill valves. I've never played their horns but I've never heard anything negative about them either fwiw
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I think Matt is right that Markus Leuchter is the way to go. Talk to Noah at Brassark.
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

GabrielRice wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:20 am I think Matt is right that Markus Leuchter is the way to go. Talk to Noah at Brassark.
I have four Leuchter altos on order right now, one is already sold. Three are left. If someone is wanting something specific it may be possible to add an instrument but that window is closing soon.

Here's what I will have available early 2022:
1x gold bell/nickel slide, bell lock ring and slide lock
1x gold bell/nickel slide with gold slide crook, bell lock ring and slide lock
1x gold bell/gold slide, bell lock ring and slide lock
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

I think Adams offers a sterling silver bell on all of their instruments. Here´s the alto:
https://www.adams-music.com/en/adams/br ... o_trombone

Seems like a nickel silver slide is standard but it´s single bore. Wouldn´t be surprised if they do offer a dual bore slide as well! Adams tends to have a pretty reasonable price on the trombones so might be worth checking out :)
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

It's definitely possible to custom order a Shires alto with silver bell and ni-si slide.

Shires' altos are dual bore; I have one, not in silver, and it's really a great horn. They are over all a little larger than most altos, but definitely with an alto feel and timbre.

One of my former - and now retired - trombone teachers had a Glassl alto, though not in silver. I can see if he still has it, and - if so - it could be up for sale.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I am thankful for the great replies.

Noah, You have a vm and an email from me.
248/327-4555
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The bell material is your number one criteria, but it's of less consequence than the sum of the rest of the factors -- how the horn is built, the tapers, dual-bore vs single bore, TIS, etc, are more important.

Currently, the Shires TIS alto, with or without the Bb attachment, is the best playing alto on the market. It has the best sound, slotting, and intonation. And I don't play one, because it is too expensive, and the slide is too heavy for my taste, despite it sounding far better than any other alto I've played. If I was using alto in a large ensemble, and not just playing horn solos and transcriptions on alto, I'd be using a Shires TIS.

They can make you one with all the options you want, but try their standard yellow bell option first at your local music store (maybe I'm spoiled in Japan, but there are several music stores very close to me with a Shires alto on display to try). It's ridiculously good. If you can't try before you buy, just know that that model will blow you away, and the only problem is that the slide is heavier than other altos.

What's wrong with the 34H?
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:32 pmIf I was using alto in a large ensemble, and not just playing horn solos and transcriptions on alto, I'd be using a Shires TIS.
The Shires alto is great for orchestra work. It has a fullness to its timbre that puts it very well in the ensemble sound; I don't really know what makes it so, but I'm really happy I bought mine before prices rushed away.

I agree that the slide is on the heavier side, but I don't mind any longer and I'd think you'd quickly get used to it. The only real drawback I can find (and this is subjective, since I don't use it) with a Shires alto, is that I haven't seen one with a trill valve, and I'm not sure they build one.

[Sings "When I'm Sixty four"] You shall shrimp and sa-a-a-ave.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The Bb attachment is first and foremost a trill valve. And far more useful for good sounding trills than a half-step or whole-step valve.

I personally find true trill valves to be an effect that sounds like a cheap trick compared to the lip trills you can get on a both the Eb and Bb sides of an alto with a Bb attachment.

But I'm 100% with you on the shires playing beautifully. Rath has a similar alto with TIS, and you can buy a model that has your trill valve WITH a Bb crook you can swap out . That's a great setup if you want everything.

This only relates to the OP in that they want a valve. Rath might make a silver alto bell, and shires definitely does. I played the Rath at a festival once and it was nice, but the Shires was right next to it and was better.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:25 am The Bb attachment is first and foremost a trill valve. And far more useful for good sounding trills than a half-step or whole-step valve.

I personally find true trill valves to be an effect that sounds like a cheap trick compared to the lip trills you can get on a both the Eb and Bb sides of an alto with a Bb attachment.
I agree with this. A B-flat valve on an alto is MUCH more versatile than a half-tone or whole-tone trill valve. With a B-flat valve, you can play 98% of the tenor literature because you are only missing the low E-natural. In terms of trills, I think a lip trill (the B-flat valve enables many lip trills to be smaller intervals) done well will sound much better than an oscillating valve. Let's face it people, it is not a very natural process to move your thumb back and forth quickly to create a trill!

To the OP....
You sound like you have already decided exactly what equipment you want and exactly how that equipment will play. My advice is to try many different alto trombones and have an open mind. You might be pleasantly surprised by an instrument or two. I have small bore horns that play very big. I have played large bore horns that played as tight as a trumpet. There are so many variables in instruments, players, mouthpieces, etc.... Give yourself the opportunity to try a multitude of alto trombones with a variety of mouthpieces. Enjoy the discovery process!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

To be fair, if you have the cash for something like that, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a Leuchter or a Glassl! Not sure what I'd do if I had say, $7k burning a hole in my wallet and wanted an alto. I'd probably try to get Shires to make me a horn w/o tuning and the Bb valve. Although I had a slight preference for the Edwards horns when they made them. But what I'm looking for in an alto is much different than what most people are looking for in an alto.
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

Horn Guys are dealers for Jurgen Voight alto trombones, where they note that "A Sterling silver bell is also an option." See the link here:

https://www.hornguys.com/products/jurge ... metal-bell
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Most of my horns are Edwards and I was hoping they would have an alto soon. But the pandemic changed that. I have played the Shires, Yami and the Jurgen Voight. I did like the German style more. In a tenor, I just do not like the German style.

The Markus Leuchter seems to be the most likely to work. I spoke to Noah to make an order. It will be a while before it shows up. If I do not like it he says they sell very easy, so I feel a low risk. The dual bore, sterling bell, with a copper crook and nickle slide are the same as my favorite Edwards. Noah has a Glassl and thinks the Leuchter is the closest.

This is kind of like EHarmony. She seems great. Anxious to just kiss the girl and see if she is.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
sferg

Post by sferg »

The Heribert Glassl design and tooling was purchased by Miel Adams upon Glassl's retirement, and with some innovation it became the Adams alto trombone. .480" bore, large bell.
timbone

Post by timbone »

Whitbey- I am curious of your combination of silver and nickel. My brief experience with nickel slides leads me to believe there is a lot of variance in sound based on manufacturers nickel usage. I for one like the Edwards sound. The German nickel is very good and a staple in their sounds as well. The downside to some nickel is its ability to sound (and feel) thin and metallic.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

timbone wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:28 pm Whitbey- I am curious of your combination of silver and nickel. My brief experience with nickel slides leads me to believe there is a lot of variance in sound based on manufacturers nickel usage. I for one like the Edwards sound. The German nickel is very good and a staple in their sounds as well. The downside to some nickel is its ability to sound (and feel) thin and metallic.
I am a large guy with a large throat. I sing a low bass. I also have some neurological issues. For some reason the dual bore nickle slide sounds the best for me. Edwards set me up with it several years ago. I have a547/562 brass slide with over-sleeves that sounds ok as a back up or if real power is needed. Gets dark on me and I lose sound color. For me, the silver and nickel is proven.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Delivered Whitbey's custom Leuchter alto in sterling silver with trill valve and had a moment to photograph it before it shipped out (Thanks for your patience Whitbey!)

It is a gorgeous horn, I was floored how well it plays.

Here are some photos for everyone's enjoyment
leuchtersterlingalto_1.jpg
leuchtersterlingalto_2.jpg
leuchtersterlingalto_3.jpg
leuchtersterlingalto_4.jpg
!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have been playing this horn a lot and not stopped to review it. I am awake at 3AM, so now I can write about it and cannot play. The wife does not like when I play at 3am.

This is an incredibly sweet horn!

My wife, a non player, thinks it is the prettiest sounding horn. While she does not play, she has been incredibly wonderful and calling out good and not so good on sound.

The horn is very easy to play in tune. Something rare in the alto field.

The upper range is much easier that one would expect. I am personally in a recovery point in my life with new caps on 6 front teeth and was fighting some drug shortages. Doing better now. With those issues my range is returning on tenor but for some reason on this alto, it has been much easier. Eb's , F's and double Bb's are so clear and sweet sounding! And low notes have so much depth with out barking.

The trill valve is smooth and just works easy.

The only negative is set screw for the trill valve digs into the thumb. I am going to have my tech pull it off and it will be fine. I usually have the tuning slide all the way in or I can put the screw ring on upside down if I need it. This most likely a I have very large hands thing then the horn.

The sterling bell with the nickle slide is a match made in heaven. Marcus must really understand this as the way everything works and sounds shows incredible skill and craftsmanship.

A great sound that is easier with a horn fun to play...........Life is good!

PS - a nice Conn 36H is for sale on this board.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”