Custom Bach 50AF3 by Benn Hansson- complete

Burgerbob

Custom Bach 50AF3 by Benn Hansson- complete

Post by Burgerbob »

Howdy y'all,

I've had this horn in the works for a good long while now, and it's done!

Two corp 50 bells- one cut, one stock. The uncut bell is one of the best 50 bells I've ever played. The spacing is Greenhoe, so I can swap all sorts of things in and out

Copper Hoelle tuning slide, now reversed

Olsen/Instrument Innovation axial valves (fitted by Mike Olsen himself)

Lightweight valve section- short tuning slides, one spider brace

Edwards V single bore slide or Shires B62/78 slide

This thing is a MONSTER. One of the best playing bass trombones I have ever played, but still has a bunch of Bach character. These valves are IMO the best on the market when they are set up right (when they are not... they are not). Easy to play, not air hogs, I can just use my normal articulation in all ranges. The most ridiculous pedal range of any bass I've played, but the horn still has an easy and centered high range up to high D. It feels like one of those "excuse-enders," where the horn does everything it possibly can- if you miss something, it's definitely your fault!

The valve section is quite wide, but it still fits in my Bonna screwbell bass case, so who cares!

Really happy with how this turned out. Check it:

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Custom 50AF3 by Benn Hansson- complete

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Very cool Burgerbob! The spider brace thing is very unusual. If it plays well....it's all good! I think it is wonderful when somebody invests so much time, money and effort into a horn and it turns out great. Enjoy!

I am mostly a large-bore tenor player, but I have a similar "ultimate bass" that I have been dreaming/planning for the future. I just started accumulating parts a few months ago and have some of the same components that are on your horn. So far I have:

*Corporation Bach 50 yellow bell that really sings
*Shires seamed gold brass C tuning slide
*Two Instrument Innovations axials

I am thinking about going with a Shires bell spacing and eventually buying/building a Shires .562/.562 slide and a Shires .562/.578 slide. Maybe I can gather the parts and aim for the summer of 2023 to have it done. I'll look at the photos of your horn for inspiration!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Re: Custom 50AF3 by Benn Hansson- complete

Post by Burgerbob »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:02 pm If it plays well....it's all good! I think it is wonderful when somebody invests so much time, money and effort into a horn and it turns out great. Enjoy!
And boy howdy it does... spent all day playing this, 42, and 3B. I just wanted to play the bass!! And I have two other really great bass trombones already...
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Custom Bach 50AF3 by Benn Hansson- complete

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

It looks like it has one of the Instrument Innovations F thumb levers. Is that what it is and how is it working for you? I really like the adjustability (if that is actually a word) of those levers. However, I'm not convinced that those levers will be my "go to" levers for axials. On some horns, they can feel "cumbersome" for the lack of a better word.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

How many horns do you have?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I am intrigued by the shorter tuning slide... I've often had the thought that the long F attachment tuning slides are bad for response, but have never bothered to make a horn to test this with.

I may be done with axials, but this makes me tempted. I will probably prioritize keeping some things tight to the flare and within the envelope of the main tuning slide in length.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

In theory, the shorter tuning slides (which results in a lighter horn) should make the horn respond faster. I know a bass trombonist who prefers the second valve in G, but it is not because of the tuning arrangement. He switched because he felt the horn responded much faster with less tubing in the bell section. Maybe he should have just reconfigured his horn with shorter tuning slides and kept the B-flat/F/G-flat tuning.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:35 am How many horns do you have?
10 1/2 ish trombones, I think...

Keep in mind I have the same amount invested in those as someone with 2 or 3 new Edwards does.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

As the owner of many trombones (I just get attached to them), I offer the same philosophy the was given to me by other trombone collectors:

“There are many other vices that are much more expensive and far more unhealthy.”

“Being that trombones are so reasonably priced, a musician could own 100 of them and not approach the price of one vintage violin.”
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

horn looks beautiful! congrats
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Hey Burger…
Did you have to alter the Hoelle tuning slide or was it already shortened? Or am I just a dumdum that can’t read?
Sam
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

…also, what made you choose the Edwards “V” slide to mate w your creation?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

bassboneman69 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:52 am Hey Burger…
Did you have to alter the Hoelle tuning slide or was it already shortened? Or am I just a dumdum that can’t read?
Sam
I may have had it shortened on a previous bell section- I've had it for a while.
bassboneman69 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:38 am …also, what made you choose the Edwards “V” slide to mate w your creation?
I've had this and my Shires B62/78 for a long time, they're my favorite two bass slides I've found. I have a Bach 50 slide to be resurrected soon, we'll see how that compares... but I've had probably 7 or 8 of those and none of them really did it for me.
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

I shortened the tuning slide to match a factory mid 2000s Greenhoe setup Bach bell. Since I built this bell section from parts I made certain the parts all lined up.

So, Aidan didn't provide the lower outer tuning slide parts, so.when I reversed it I just trimmed it all to perfectly match my setup bell (Aidan doesn't owned it, its mine). There is a short tapered neckpipe between the Gb valve and the reversed seamed copper inner slide tube.

This bell section made me mad. Its so good, and I kinda hate that I don't own a bell section that sounds like this. I don't have time replicate this anytime soon....

I am super happy Aidan finally has a few non-hooptie bass bones! :-P

Benn
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

octavposaune wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 pm ...

Benn
Oh, oh! Another Hoovie's Garage fan :)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:51 pm
octavposaune wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 pm ...

Benn
Oh, oh! Another Hoovie's Garage fan :)
Consider this my Countach!
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

Hoovie did not invent that term Bruce, it is just modern slang for old beater cars. I will translate to older slang. Jalopies.....

Return to “Instruments”