Considering a new horn

dukesboneman

Considering a new horn

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve been a Small bore Bach player ( 8, 12, 16MG) for a long time and own quite a few really great horns.
However Lately I`ve tried some newer horns and have been quite impressed.
With the horns like Shires and Edwards , I know every variable can be customized.
But I`m looking for a horn with quick response , a free upper range and a dark sound
opinions?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Considering a new horn

Post by Matt K »

The new Shires artist series horns (MD, MD+, Marshal Gilkes) are really spectacular, more in the vein of Kings rather than small bore Bachs in my opinion, which may be the direction you want to pursue one way or another.

Rath & Edwards both have some really great stuff too. If you want to go new it might just be best to pick which one you want to go with and talk to the rep there as they fit stuff given peoples desires etc and are usually pretty close. My guess is you'll probably end up in some capacity with a 2 piece bell with a soldered bell bead, probably yellow brass bell section and a nickel slide and maybe a 1, 1.5 or 2 leadpipe.

FWIW, Getzen horns are the same as Edwards but soldered together. The 3508R might be a cool horn for you too.

While I'm on the subject, for non boutique horns the 3B or 2b+ might be worth checking out as they are more in line with the quick response vs. Bachs, in my opinion. And the Yamaha YSL 891Z or 691 horns that I've played have been very quick to respond but with their 508 bores are less bright than the smaller alternatives.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'll go out on a limb and say you won't find anything that sounds like the Bachs. I think there are easier horns to play on sale now, but nothing with that character. It's always a tradeoff.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

I'd be tempted to try the Shires Marshall Gilkes and the Michael Davis models.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

The Rath horns just blew my mind when I first tried them out… since you are maybe wanting to go a little larger I would recommend trying an R1 with a nickel bell… I play an R10 (slightly smaller) with a nickel bell… it has the power to rip the paint off the wall when playing lead or in a rock band… but when you back off, it’s got a warmth that is so sweet. The R1 or R2, if you want more of a King 3B feel, will definitely give you that dark sound. Mick Rath is great to work with too.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
MrBadger

Post by MrBadger »

@deanmccarty ...

Quick question - does your R3 slide fit your R10 gooseneck?
Current stable
Rath R12F, R4F, R900
Bach LT16MG, 42B
Holton TR181
Getzen Bass Trumpet
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Well: I do have a new custom horn currently on order. I was thinking along the same lines as OP, and I made my decision from what I could combine from what I have test played through the years, and what my imagination could tell me I can get from the various builders.

I'll post about my new instrument when it is delivered to me.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Expect many tradeoffs with a new instrument versus an older one.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

MrBadger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:49 am @deanmccarty ...

No.
MrBadger

Post by MrBadger »

Fidbone wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:33 am
MrBadger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:49 am @deanmccarty ...

No.
Thanks for the confirmation:-)
Current stable
Rath R12F, R4F, R900
Bach LT16MG, 42B
Holton TR181
Getzen Bass Trumpet
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

deanmccarty wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:50 am The Rath horns just blew my mind when I first tried them out… since you are maybe wanting to go a little larger I would recommend trying an R1 with a nickel bell… I play an R10 (slightly smaller) with a nickel bell… it has the power to rip the paint off the wall when playing lead or in a rock band… but when you back off, it’s got a warmth that is so sweet. The R1 or R2, if you want more of a King 3B feel, will definitely give you that dark sound. Mick Rath is great to work with too.
:good: :good:

Love my Rath
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

dukesboneman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:19 am I`ve been a Small bore Bach player ( 8, 12, 16MG) for a long time and own quite a few really great horns.
However Lately I`ve tried some newer horns and have been quite impressed.
With the horns like Shires and Edwards , I know every variable can be customized.
But I`m looking for a horn with quick response , a free upper range and a dark sound
opinions?
Have you found something yet? If not give Roy Lawler a call. A model 1 or 2 with a mid-weight red brass bell stem, a 7 1/2" mid-weight red brass flare with the flat Lawler bead, and an all brass handslide in either .500 or.508 and you will have what you are looking for. A very quick response with a rich, complex, warm and dark sound. With probably his #10 leadpipe. Being a Bach player you would probably be most comfortable with a model 2. The bell is set back like a Williams which is only slightly further back than a Bach. The model 1 is bell forward similar to a King.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

If I could afford a new small bore it would be a Lawler.
Lots of options to get it set up how you like, plus with spare screw on bells & leadpipes you can have multiple set-ups!
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:

Return to “Instruments”