Yamaha YSL-882O vs 882OR

jimmymclark

Yamaha YSL-882O vs 882OR

Post by jimmymclark »

Anyone know/own/played these instruments that could help with a pro/con sheet of one over the other, what the difference is in the valve and/or valve tuning slide, etc?

I own a 891Z and I like the way the instrument plays very much. Most of my playing is commercial, but I'm in the market for a large bore again and I'm assuming that a nice used 882XX would be a solid purchase for what I'm looking to do with it.

Thanks for your help.
Jimmy
MTbassbone

Re: Yamaha YSL-882O vs 882OR

Post by MTbassbone »

I have played both but have not owned either. I like them both. For me the 882O is a bit zinger but not bright compared to the 882OR. The 882O has a narrow slide and the 882OR has a wide slide. The 882OR was less bright but still had brilliance, IMHO slightly Bach-ish sound. Not as much zing as the 882O. Both are available with yellow or gold brass bells. The 882OR has reversed tuning slides. All of the examples I have tried have mechanically been very good, and the slides were excellent. Honestly I am surprised these horns are not more popular. As always your mileage may vary.
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Yamaha YSL-882O vs 882OR

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I do not own either horn, but have played both models dozens of times. Several years back, I really had my mind set on buying an 882OR. Then the price started jumping up a couple hundred dollars every few months....the enthusiasm for buying the horn waned.

In my opinion, the 882O is the brighter horn with a little more punch in the articulation. The 882OR played a little bigger and darker for me, with more covered articulations. I was very excited when they came out with an 882OR with a gold brass bell. When I tried a few of them, I was unpleasantly surprised......the 882GOR went too far in the heavy/darkness category and played rather dull for me. That was a big shock......very few horns go "too far" for me!

A very similar set of trombones is produced by the Getzen company. The Getzen 4147IB (Ian Bousfield) is designed to play in the brighter spectrum of the .547 bore horns like a very good Elkhart Conn 88H. The Getzen 4047DS is designed to play in the darker spectrum of the .547 bore horns like a very good Bach 42B.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Instruments”