Bach Prelude

TyDeWein

Bach Prelude

Post by TyDeWein »

Hi there. I’m looking at the Bach student or intermediate line and reading that they can be pretty great quality. I see some Prelude horns with or w/o f attachment. Any comment on these horns? I was thinking of getting a vintage Olds too. Ambassador or Studio/special.

I like the Kings/Conns but they tend to be a little pricier perhaps. Trying to stay around 3-400 for a nice horn if possible.

A little torn so thought this group would surely know. Thanks!
Burgerbob

Re: Bach Prelude

Post by Burgerbob »

What do you play on playing music style-wise? If you want a good small tenor for jazz styles, I'd just get a Yamaha 354 and call it a day, or one of those Olds.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
TyDeWein

Post by TyDeWein »

Thanks for narrowing it down for me. Yeah, just a smaller versatile tenor. I have seen that the 354 sounds tried and true. Thanks.
TyDeWein

Post by TyDeWein »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 pm What do you play on playing music style-wise? If you want a good small tenor for jazz styles, I'd just get a Yamaha 354 and call it a day, or one of those Olds.
The Olds have a lot of vintage character. Have you played them vs the 354? Is 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other as far as quality and sound if condition isn’t a factor? Thanks for any wisdom.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Ambassador is built a bit heavier than modern horns. It becomes a tank and is tough to damage. On the other hand, it may feel a bit dated in some contexts.

If you are a high level pro you may find the Olds trombones to be a bit odd to blend with. Most of us will have no problems, though. I played an Ambassador with F in a community orchestra on 3rd trombone. But it wasn't Boston Symphony level.

Those Preludes could be large bore. You sure that's what you are looking for?

There are good student horns that work for jazz band: some like the Conn Director (I don't); Some like the King 606 (Tempo, Cleveland, Cleveland 605). I have a Besson 2-20 that works nicely in Dixieland playing. I also have a 1945 Martin Imperial that I used for Dixieland for quite a while. All cost me in the area of your price point.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

TyDeWein wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:29 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 pm What do you play on playing music style-wise? If you want a good small tenor for jazz styles, I'd just get a Yamaha 354 and call it a day, or one of those Olds.
The Olds have a lot of vintage character. Have you played them vs the 354? Is 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other as far as quality and sound if condition isn’t a factor? Thanks for any wisdom.
The 354 will be more modern, less "character" (both because it's modern and it's a student horn). The Olds have their own sound, very singular to the brand. They're also a lot harder to repair if anything goes wrong, which is something to consider.

Personally, my choice would be a King 2B or 3B for a bit more money, but those can be around 800-900 rather than 300-400.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
TyDeWein

Post by TyDeWein »

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the info! Good food for thought.

Return to “Instruments”