Yamaha Bass Leadpipes

harrisonreed

Yamaha Bass Leadpipes

Post by harrisonreed »

Does anyone know why yammy basses let the mouthpiece insert in so far? Is there a reason for it?
BGuttman

Re: Yamaha Bass Leadpipes

Post by BGuttman »

King also has a deep insertion.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:32 am Does anyone know why yammy basses let the mouthpiece insert in so far? Is there a reason for it?
Are they all the same? Which ones are you speaking of? I didn't notice that on the YBL 613H, the 830, or the 822.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I am using an independent one, no idea what number but I'll check. It does for sure on the Yeo model as well
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I just pulled a couple of Yamaha bass leadpipes from my parts bin (I think they came from a YBL-322 and a YBL-421) and checked them. All of the bass shank mouthpieces I sampled in these leadpipes went in exactly 1 inch to 1.05 inch, which is normal.

If your Yamaha is a removable leadpipe, it can easily be trimmed to your liking. I trim all of the leadpipes that I use regularly so that the mouthpieces insert to an exact measurement. If it is a soldered leadpipe, it can still be trimmed but there is a little more labor involved.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

My old Yamaha 321 had the same mouthpiece insertion depth as a Bach, Getzen, or any other modern stock horn. Same when I tried an 822 Yeo model at NABBA one year.

My Holton 180 swallows nearly the entire mouthpiece shank, noticeably different depth than other large shank receivers.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The 613H Leadpipe, labeled as the "M'PIPE ASS'Y YBL813UG ", is the same one as on the YBL-830, and it does require a deeper insertion. Not sure why they wanted it that way, but it's definitely how they wanted it. I seem to recall the King Duo Gravis also having a deeper insertion than standard.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, 613H pipe has the oddly deep receiver. I'm playing an 830 at work and have a Haag at home with the same leadpipe and same issue.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

"It goes in exactly one inch" should not be engraved in stone. "It goes in exactly how far it needs to work properly" should.

I played a King 7B for years. Deeper insertion. Doug gave me a special shank that went in only 1 inch. I stopped using it because the regular shank played better.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I played an 822G for several years and I just put the mouthpiece in and played. I don't think I've ever owned two different trombones where the mouthpiece fit in exactly the same.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

When i played the Doug Yeo model (622?) My mouthpiece went in a bit further than non Yamaha basses. King and Yamaha are the only 2 companies i know of that use 2 piece leadpipes. And aren't Yamaha mouthpieces copies of Schilke designs? Most Shilkes I've seen have longer shanks (especially older ones).
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:58 pm Yup, 613H pipe has the oddly deep receiver. I'm playing an 830 at work and have a Haag at home with the same leadpipe and same issue.
How far is oddly deep? The 613Hs I played, early ones, accepted my mouthpiece just fine.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I always thought the Yamahas just started the leadpipe a little after the "receiver". That's been the case with most of the models that are in the 800 series that I've played worked. It's different than the 3xx, 4xx, 5xx, and 6xx series though, which has that one that basically stops exactly at the top of the cork barrel. I like the 646 and 356 slides I have because it makes it somewhat easy to put a little ring on the top of leadpipes when they're pulled. My tech put a little ring around the top and filed it down so it was more secure. On the 8xx slide I had converted, I used the cork barrels and my tech had to do some voodoo to get a threaded ring on it. Works great though.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My DE J8 shank goes in 1" on my tenor, and 1.6" on the Yamaha bass
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:56 am My DE J8 shank goes in 1" on my tenor, and 1.6" on the Yamaha bass
Well you can't compare a tenor to a bass. However 1.6" seems a bit far in. Is your bass piece a DE?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:56 am My DE J8 shank goes in 1" on my tenor, and 1.6" on the Yamaha bass
Wow.. That's a lot different.

Looking at shank marks I have, the most variation I see is 1.25"

To be clear, 1.6" would be beyond the machined shank of a standard Bach mouthpiece. It would completely swallow the entire shank of an old long-shank Schilke. It would be up to or IN to the flats on my DE shanks.

Cheers,
Andy
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:04 am
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:58 pm Yup, 613H pipe has the oddly deep receiver. I'm playing an 830 at work and have a Haag at home with the same leadpipe and same issue.
How far is oddly deep? The 613Hs I played, early ones, accepted my mouthpiece just fine.
All the mouthpieces I have work. But they go in a quarter inch or more in. Also, some pieces don't seem to fit the same- my Laskeys wobble ever so slightly.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

elmsandr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:26 am

To be clear, 1.6" would be beyond the machined shank of a standard Bach mouthpiece. It would completely swallow the entire shank of an old long-shank Schilke. It would be up to or IN to the flats on my DE shanks.

Cheers,
Andy

You're absolutely right, I made a mistake. It's 1.3"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm
elmsandr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:26 am

Cheers,
Andy

Andy is your bass piece a DE?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:48 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Welp no response. OK. I'll assume you do have a DE bass piece. If you can get Doug to send you a shank for your bass that will fit a King receiver. He did that for me. Might/will make a difference.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:49 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:48 am
Welp no response. OK. I'll assume you do have a DE bass piece. If you can get Doug to send you a shank for your bass that will fit a King receiver. He did that for me. Might/will make a difference.
Sorry, offline for a bit, yes, my main is a DE.. pretty sure all my shanks pre-date the backbore updates that he did a while ago now, should probably try out a new shank anyway.

That said, I only have one or two leadpipes that aren’t pretty much exactly on 1.0”… any they are both funky custom things (for somebody else) that play great at the odd depth. They might play even better with a good fit, but I know that at least one of these was made specifically for somebody testing mouthpiece seating dimension… this was the backup pipe from his winning combination. It isn’t my winner, but I think I’m back on all standard pipes now as I realize that skill and practice are my problems, not the leadpipe.

Cheers,
Andy
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 pm
WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:49 am
Sorry, offline for a bit, yes, my main is a DE.. pretty sure all my shanks pre-date the backbore updates that he did a while ago now, should probably try out a new shank anyway.

That said, I only have one or two leadpipes that aren’t pretty much exactly on 1.0”… any they are both funky custom things (for somebody else) that play great at the odd depth. They might play even better with a good fit, but I know that at least one of these was made specifically for somebody testing mouthpiece seating dimension… this was the backup pipe from his winning combination. It isn’t my winner, but I think I’m back on all standard pipes now as I realize that skill and practice are my problems, not the leadpipe.

Cheers,
Andy
Well I'm not sure about backbone updates-that wasn't my point. Doug can get you a shank that's for a King that is slightly longer than his standard shank. Might make a difference in your Yamaha.

Return to “Instruments”