King 2B Silversonic

TheConnsequence

King 2B Silversonic

Post by TheConnsequence »

Is a 1955 or 1956 2B Silversonic a decent acquisition for $900? I do not usually venture outside of Vintage Conns, but I saw a chance to try out an instrument with a Sterling bell. 345xxx

I attached some low quality pictures for an idea of condition.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the 2B silversonic? I cannot find much on the topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheConnsequence on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheConnsequence

Re: King 2B Silversonic

Post by TheConnsequence »

Logo Picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are a number of "flavors" of 2B and the SilverSonic (or SilverTone) is no exception. Older ones tend to play a bit bigger. I used to play a 2B Silvertone from 1947 that would blow away a modern 3B.

I'd certainly take a 2B SilverSonic over a 4H or 12H, all things being equal.

Then again, with used horns condition trumps everything. Test it out. If it seems to be in good shape, that's a good price for one.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For $900, hard to go wrong unless the slide is completely borked. Buy it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I've been playing an early '60s 2BSS as my primary horn for the last 13 years. Mostly big band, with a healthy dose of small group jazz and horn section stuff thrown in as well.

Generally, it's been a good all rounder. It is a small horn, and it's relatively bright. I find I really need to concentrate on my sound during solos and exposed sections or it starts to suffer.

I paid a similar price to the one you're looking at, years ago, and mine's nothing like as clean. I don't know what prices are like in the US, but over here that would be extremely cheap.

Return to “Instruments”