Were all King Silvertone 2b horns sterling silver?

stjones

Were all King Silvertone 2b horns sterling silver?

Post by stjones »

Were all King Silvertone 2b horns sterling silver or were there silver plated King Silvertone 2b horns?
BGuttman

Re: Were all King Silvertone 2b horns sterling silver?

Post by BGuttman »

If it bears the mark "Silvertone" it has a solid sterling silver bell. There were lacquer ones and silver plated ones. The key is the "pound" symbol (looks like an L with a line through it) on the bell stem.

King lost a trademark suit to Sears in the 1950s and had to change the name to Silver Sonic. Note that Sears sold a trombone called "Silvertone" which is NOT sterling silver.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

The flare was spun from Sterling sheet
Spelter AKA silver solder. SILVER BRAZING
to join the sheets Seams are visible
And slightly different color
Small tabs on edge help lock the sheets
Together then the silver alloy is melted
Into unto the seams Then it gets forged
And surface reduced to same plane
By stock removal ( file sand etc)
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I think I see why you ask. I have seen some ads about "silver tone" Kings that are obviously not silver like this one. Ask to see the "sterling silver stamp" on the bell. This horn is said to be a Silvertone but clearly not silver.

Url to a silvertone:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/114316314851?ul_ ... noapp=true
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

imsevimse wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:49 pm I think I see why you ask. I have seen some ads about "silver tone" Kings that are obviously not silver like this one. Ask to see the "sterling silver stamp" on the bell. This horn is said to be a Silvertone but clearly not silver.

Url to a silvertone:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/114316314851?ul_ ... noapp=true

The trombone listed on eBay is a "Silvertone" - but NOT from King. It is an econo-trombone that was sold by Sears, Roebuck in the 1950s-1960s. I remember seeing them in the Sears catalog as a kid. Definitely not sterling silver - "Silvertone" was just a brand name used by Sears. Since they were using that name before King began making their Sterling silver "Silvertone" brass instruments, Sears (successfully) sued King, forcing King to rebrand their silver instruments as "Silversonic." I believe that all King "Silversonic" instruments had sterling silver (not silver-plated) bells - but I could be wrong about that. :idk:
stjones

Post by stjones »

Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

stjones wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 pm What about this https://www.ebay.com/itm/324687610139?h ... Sw1iZg0mge? Sterling silver?
Yes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Another hint: All King Silvertone and Silversonic trombones have the curved bell brace. The bell is silver colored although the rest of the instrument may or may not be.

Sears had been using the mark Silvertone on radios and other home entertainment since the 1920s so they were able to compel King to rename the brand. The instrument in imsevimse's post is a Sears Silvertone. Basically a student grade instrument.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

stjones wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 pm What about this https://www.ebay.com/itm/324687610139?h ... Sw1iZg0mge? Sterling silver?
That one's an authentic King Silvertone. Sterling silver bell! :good:

Return to “Instruments”