Is this bell-packing adequate for international shipping?

Tremozl

Is this bell-packing adequate for international shipping?

Post by Tremozl »

Hello all, not sure which forum to ask this under.

In the past I had a horn shipped to me and the bell came in heavily crinkled, so I am a bit paranoid about getting an item shipped to me from long distances again. However I'm buying a specific horn (Cimbasso) that can only come from afar.

The shipper has sent me some photos of the packing and they look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lvx6fhmqhais ... d.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1c7bgswrxz8m ... d.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9crhvdrqp6qkl ... d.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eegdayud9oj7i ... d.jpg?dl=0

To me, this looks like an adequate amount of protection for the valve section but I am worried a hard fall right on the head of the bell might damage it. The seller has offered to package separately if I want to, but thinks this will be enough.
If some more experienced members of the community here feel that this is enough, then I'll have a bit more faith in this.

Thanks for any input!
Doug Elliott

Re: Is this bell-packing adequate for international shipping?

Post by Doug Elliott »

It seems very inadequate, except if it's actually shipping - strapped on a pallet like that - by truck, it's probably fine. As long as the whole thing doesn't get dropped or stabbed by a forklift... but nothing would save it then.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I received a very well packed horn this week. In those pictures, the bell of your cimbasso(?) looks a little underpacked, but the rest looks ok. More bubbles around the neckpipe and a pro builder/shipper should be able to do better than rolled up corrugated in the bell. Bubbles at least, maybe a cone or a ball. All the empty space inside the case should be bubbles.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I definitely think the bell is not protected well enough. All that space in the case needs to be filled with something and I would really put a lot of bubblewrap around the bell flare. That's where damage happens in shipping.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I sent a bass to Denmark from the UK a couple of months ago.

I put rolled up bubble wrap round the whole instrument and inside the bell and filled all the gaps within the case so there was no room for it to move within the case.

Once I'd boxed it I then filled the spaces with bubble/brown wrapping etc until the case would not move within it. It got there in one piece with no damage.

You can't be too careful and once you wave goodbye to it who knows how it gets handled!
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Thanks a bunch everyone. This is going to be shipped via air, from Austria to Canada, so quite a distance. I'll relay the information I've compiled from here. Thanks again!
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

There has to be a sensitivity to packing. Too tight is just as risky as too loose. Too loose, and things could bang around. Too tight, and pressure can bend things. Secure is the term I would use.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

I guess I should ask, does anyone have any good reference pictures or a video that they think illustrates some great in-the-case packing? I will probably send this along to the vendor (even if that might trample their ego a bit, in the end I'd like to buy an intact horn and not have to deal with the insurance policy on the shipping..)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

As has been described already.. Plus add more padding around the case inside the other box. Especially at the ends.

I didn't realize this was international.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:02 pm As has been described already.. Plus add more padding around the case inside the other box. Especially at the ends.

I didn't realize this was international.

Alright, cheers :good:
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Dougs on the money. You actually DO want it to move a bit in the sense that it has to be able to absorb shocks - that means that it moves as it absorbs the energy of the impact. Best place for that to take place is between the cardboard box and the instrument case. The cardboard roll will do its job but a polystyrene cone would be better. I think the case within the box is more than adeqoute just make sure there is plenty of padding at either end as Doug says.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I have never tried this, but here is a video:

Return to “Instruments”