Allora trombones

yhc

Allora trombones

Post by yhc »

Hi guys:
Somebody can tell me if the Allora trombone is a good brand? I try one and it’s very good?

Thanks for your advice!
yhc

Re: Allora trombones

Post by yhc »

It’s sound very good!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Allora was a "step-up" brand. I believe the early ones were made in Germany. Like most step-up instruments, they are a major improvement over most beginner instruments. If it sounds good to you (and to your teacher, if you have one) then it's good.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

A blue one?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:41 pmA blue one?
My blue one is a Venus and it's not very good.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

What do you mean “A blue one?” Are you referring to the plastic model Allora Aere?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
yhc

Post by yhc »

Hello everyone!

I mean the Allora Paris 550. As I said I like its sound. I want to know if a good brand like the Yamaha’s, King’s or Getzen?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Is it a poor man's Rath, Shires, or Edwards? No.

Is it comparable to a Conn, King, or Bach pro level instrument? No.

Is it better than a King 606, Getzen 3xx, or Conn Director? Maybe.

It's hard to make a judgment without being able to examine it and test it.

If I recall correctly Allora was a brand sold by Woodwind and Brasswind.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have a .547 bore Allora from the late 90's. At that time, they were only sold by The Woodwind and The Brasswind. Mine is a decent horn but has some oddities. I believe the slide was completely built by Courtois and the bell section has elements of both the 1990s Courtois and B&S instruments. The slide is almost an exact replica of a Bach 42 lightweight nickel slide and works extremely well. The rotary valve is very similar to a Bach 42 open wrap, but the casing is all nickel. The F-attachment wrap is the strangest part.....it has multiple pieces of tubing that are oversized. The S-bend is .593 inch (just like a Bach 42B) and there are other parts that have an inside diameter of .580 (instead of .562). The main tuning slide is actually interchangeable with a standard Bach 42. The bell flare is very heavy.....I have measured it at .035 inch thick, which makes it in the 20 gauge vicinity. It came with a Bam case.

In 2000, I was traveling through northern Indiana, on my way to Chicago. I stopped by the WWBW and tried a several horns and this one caught my attention. At that time, it fit my playing style better because I favored big and heavy equipment. I think I have gigged on it 20-25 times over the years, so it has more than paid for itself but it was never my "preferred horn." I now find it to be slow-responding, compared to my current preferred horns. I have considered taking the bell section apart, rebuilding the F-attachment with all .562 tubing and buffing the bell down to a more manageable gauge. We'll see if I ever get to that project.

To conclude.... I do not know who is making the current Allora models, but mine is decent. Considering that I paid less than $600 for it, the horn brought a lot of bang for the buck. The Bam case alone at that time retailed for over $250!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:37 pm I have a .547 bore Allora from the late 90's. At that time, they were only sold by The Woodwind and The Brasswind. Mine is a decent horn but has some oddities. I believe the slide was completely built by Courtois and the bell section has elements of both the 1990s Courtois and B&S instruments. The slide is almost an exact replica of a Bach 42 lightweight nickel slide and works extremely well. The rotary valve is very similar to a Bach 42 open wrap, but the casing is all nickel. The F-attachment wrap is the strangest part.....it has multiple pieces of tubing that are oversized. The S-bend is .593 inch (just like a Bach 42B) and there are other parts that have an inside diameter of .580 (instead of .562). The main tuning slide is actually interchangeable with a standard Bach 42. The bell flare is very heavy.....I have measured it at .035 inch thick, which makes it in the 20 gauge vicinity. It came with a Bam case.

In 2000, I was traveling through northern Indiana, on my way to Chicago. I stopped by the WWBW and tried a several horns and this one caught my attention. At that time, it fit my playing style better because I favored big and heavy equipment. I think I have gigged on it 20-25 times over the years, so it has more than paid for itself but it was never my "preferred horn." I now find it to be slow-responding, compared to my current preferred horns. I have considered taking the bell section apart, rebuilding the F-attachment with all .562 tubing and buffing the bell down to a more manageable gauge. We'll see if I ever get to that project.

To conclude.... I do not know who is making the current Allora models, but mine is decent. Considering that I paid less than $600 for it, the horn brought a lot of bang for the buck. The Bam case alone at that time retailed for over $250!
This sounds almost identical to an F. Schimdt trombone I bought on e-bay years ago, partly because I was curious but mostly because I wanted the Bam case. What I was able to find out at the time is that it was made in France or Germany by Courtois. I thought it played very well, but was too close to my 42B to justify keeping it.
I did not take measurements of the f-attachment, nor the bell gauge.

Return to “Instruments”