BAC LA Model

officermayo

BAC LA Model

Post by officermayo »

Pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on the BAC LA Model horn. After receiving it I must say that I'm pretty impressed with this horn. The combination brushed brass/nickel finish is absolutely beautiful. The slide is slick as all get out and the tone in really full and warm. I'm not a "case snob" but the one supplied with this horn is top notch and very light for the level of protection is provides. Little touches like the two storage compartment doors being spring loaded is very nice. I was surprised it came with a soft bag with a drawstring for protecting the exterior of the case. The last brand new horn I bought was a Constellation back in '75 so this was a big deal for me. Can't say enough good things about BAC's Artist line up of trombones.
Last edited by officermayo on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
officermayo

Re: BAC LA Model

Post by officermayo »

Honeymoon ended in less than 24 hrs.

While changing the counterweight, I dropped part of it and it hit the bell.
The brand new, virgin, satin finish bell.
Well, at least I got that one out of the way.

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Sorry to hear that. I hate when I’m sooo careful with something and then I drop it or break it.

I remember hearing a story about a famous teacher (maybe John Coffey?). When a student would bring in a new horn, he would remove the student’s mouthpiece and make a small ding in the bell just below the main tuning slide ferrule. Then he’d say, “There. You don’t have to worry about denting it anymore.”
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

It's my own fault.
I knew better to remove the tuning slide before messing with the counterweight.

BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:13 pm Sorry to hear that. I hate when I’m sooo careful with something and then I drop it or break it.

I remember hearing a story about a famous teacher (maybe John Coffey?). When a student would bring in a new horn, he would remove the student’s mouthpiece and make a small ding in the bell just below the main tuning slide ferrule. Then he’d say, “There. You don’t have to worry about denting it anymore.”
It was John Coffey. I also knew some car dealers who would sell new cars pre-dented.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:15 pm
Kbiggs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:13 pm I remember hearing a story about a famous teacher (maybe John Coffey?). When a student would bring in a new horn, he would remove the student’s mouthpiece and make a small ding in the bell just below the main tuning slide ferrule. Then he’d say, “There. You don’t have to worry about denting it anymore.”
It was John Coffey. I also knew some car dealers who would sell new cars pre-dented.
This brings back fond memories of John Coffey (bass trombone of the Boston Symphony from 1941-52), who retired and owned a music store down the street from Boston Symphony Hall. Knowledgeable, no nonsense, but very courteous, friendly, and helpful. In 1972 I needed an F-attachment trombone and was referred to him by Ron Barron. After rejecting several Bach 42Bs, John fitted me with a very hard-to-get Conn 88H (the factory was being moved to Abilene - mine may have been one of the last of the Elkharts). He did not hesitate to give me a 40% "professional discount." :good: I still have - and love - this now 49-year-old trombone, and fondly remember the afternoon that I spent upstairs above the Coffey Music store trying trombones! (He did not dent my sparkling new 88H! ;) )
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Could be worse, eh?

Elow

Post by Elow »

On my first horn with a valve, i didn’t know what it was and so i unscrewed the valve cap and dropped it on the bell, and then a few more times as i struggled to put it back on, ive still got the little scratches and dents from it.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'll never forget the 2004 concert with C.Lindberg and the US National Symphony orchestra. He came out with a completely crushed bell, played the Aho Symphony 9, and then left nine curtain calls and two encores later.

The mic set the stage on fire after he dropped it.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

officermayo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 pm Could be worse, eh?
453k views, that's likely the most money anyone has ever made with a contrabass trombone.

Return to “Instruments”