Hüttl Silver Colibri

MrHCinDE

Hüttl Silver Colibri

Post by MrHCinDE »

Can anyone tell me about the Hüttl Silver Colibri ‘65? Has anyone played one?

I have an opportunity to buy locally for a couple of hundred € and plan to go try it later this week. This particular example is from 1965 and is still in the hands of the original owner.

I couldn’t find much about the specs of Hüttl trombones. The closest I could find was an indication that the Silver Colibri Trumpets and maybe cornets have nickel silver bells which if also on the trombone could be interesting. I think the Silver Colibri was at the upper end of the Hüttl range, maybe with a Gold Colibri above it. In any case, the silver has a nice two tone design, mainly silver (plated, nickel silver plated or solid nickel silver, who knows?) with some brass highlights. It looks to be similar proportions to a 3b but I’ll know more when I try it.
stewbones43

Re: Hüttl Silver Colibri

Post by stewbones43 »

I remember Huttl trombones in the '60s and '70s but I am not sure which models they were. They had very heavy slides! More British/French style than German with smallish bores (0.500in or less) and small bells (7in or 7.5in) They were solidly built.

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

I had what I believe was a solid nickel Huttl in the 90s that was probably from the 60s. I don’t recall much about it other than it was a blast to play. It was probably something like a .550 (not .547) as I recall. Straight horn. Very heavy as I recall as mentioned.

If I could find one again for $200 I’d buy one again in a heartbeat. Though sounds like you’re describing something different.

Cheers
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks!

This is the one:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-an ... 50-74-8898

It looks very much like a small bore horn with around an 8” bell from the photos.

Return to “Instruments”