Conn 6H vs. 48H

johntarr

Conn 6H vs. 48H

Post by johntarr »

I’m curious as to what the difference is in playing and sound between the Conn 6H and 48H models. I know the 48H has a nickel bell, and perhaps a bronze slide.

Any comments would be interesting and thanks in advance,

John
Thrawn22

Re: Conn 6H vs. 48H

Post by Thrawn22 »

For me the 48H brightens up when i push it. I like using it for lead.

My 6H can brighten and darken up depending what i need it to.

Design wise the 48H slide i had was a little too narrow for me, so i sold it and use my 6H slide with the 48H bell. Works great.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I like both horns, but the 48h is just a better all-around horn for me. Plus, you can really dig out from under a lot of noise with that bell. And I think the slide grip with gussets is more comfortable. I don't mind the width, but when slides get down to the width of a 32h, that's where I draw the line. I had a 10h slide with a wide glide crook on it, and stupidly traded it to some lucky Frenchman.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Haven’t played a 6h but I had a nice 48h for a while. The bell is weighty…not quite King Silversonic, but it has a density and power to it that really projects well. I found the sound a little harder to blend with a horn section, but if it was my full time horn I could’ve made it work well for a man all round commercial/lead/jazz horn.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I have a nice 6h and had a decent 48h with director slide for a while.

The 48h played great at home, in an ensemble I didn’t get enough feedback behind the horn for my personal taste and tended to overdo it a little. I noticed a similar thing with a 3bss which I effectively sold the 48h to fund. I found the 6h to give me more feedback behind the bell and am reliably informed by the saxes and band leader that enough sound still comes out of the front also.

In the end, I prefer the 6h and am happy to trade a little bit of top-end volume for more feedback and easier ability to colour the sound. If I played in a rock band or a really loud big band, I’d still have the 48h or 3bss. I’ve made some changes to my playing since I sold that 48h though and would love to give a 48h another go sometime.
btone

Post by btone »

I love both these horns and they do sound different, as described above. I have had some old 48hs, eventually selling one bell on Trombone Forum, and one complete horn to a student. I kept one, too. The much-used LW slides were just okay, so I often used the ultra smooth slide from my 70's 6h. The 6H plays great, a very all purpose sound, not as much heft or apparent projection from the bell as the 48H's but a really nice sound and so user-friendly. I played a state Miss America pageant with a fine player from Dallas back in the late 80's who used his early 60's 6H for most of his work and just sounded great on it. Btw, I had a friend put a Conn tenon on a spare King 3b slide once, and it worked fine on the 48H, giving it a bit more open blow.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Are the 48H flares
Copprion.
Yellow brass
Nickle Silver
?????????????????????????
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

djkennedy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:40 am Are the 48H flares
Copprion.
Yellow brass
Nickle Silver
Not really sure, but I think 48H Connstellation bell flares are spun yellow brass, possibly copper-plated, then nickel-plated ("nickel-silver") to create a sturdy, dense, hard-to-tarnish silver-looking bell. I'm pretty sure that these 48H bells are heavier than 6H bells, as well as "denser" sounding.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn48H1968image.html

There may have been some 48Hs made with the Coprion copper technology, but I am skeptical.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

My experience with 48H (have owned three) is that they have a darker sound than the 6H much of the time, but really light up when you put some "stank" on it. Maybe even a bit much at times. They also don't have as flexible a feel as a 6H - Partials seemed a little more rigid.

Still like them a lot! Wish I still had one, actually.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:33 pm
djkennedy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:40 am Are the 48H flares
Copprion.
Yellow brass
Nickle Silver
Not really sure, but I think 48H Connstellation bell flares are spun yellow brass, possibly copper-plated, then nickel-plated ("nickel-silver") to create a sturdy, dense, hard-to-tarnish silver-looking bell. I'm pretty sure that these 48H bells are heavier than 6H bells, as well as "denser" sounding.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn48H1968image.html

There may have been some 48Hs made with the Coprion copper technology, but I am skeptical.
There was a thread about this awhile back, and the suggestion was made that the rumor of them using coprion bells was due to the fact that there's a base layer of copper plating under the nickel plating. So perhaps someone saw the copper color where the nickel had worn off and made a wrong assumption. I can confirm that mine is definitely a brass bell with nickel plating over copper plating. You can see this by looking inside the bell throat. I seriously doubt that any bells were made of all nickel silver or all copper. Conn called it "Electro-D" plating. They advertised it as a special type of plating, but I don't think the entire bells were electro-formed, just the plating. I'm pretty sure 48Hs are lacquered, so I believe that is the reason they don't tarnish.

I prefer the 48H to the 6H. I tried a 6H and didn't feel like I could make it "get out" when I needed to. The 48H can be very bright if you need it to be, but can also be warm. I think it does slot tighter than the 6H. I never actually weighed it, but just touching the bell gives me the impression it is rather thick and heavy. Mine has a lightweight slide with bronze outer tubes.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Swingray

Post by Swingray »

Just coming back to this. My 48h (1970) is much lighter than most I’ve tried.I usually like heavy (1945 2B and a Recording. But this is a great horn….
Swingray

Post by Swingray »

Just coming back to this. My 48h (1970) is much lighter than most I’ve tried and lighter than most bores. I even wondered if this was some kind I’d special order. I usually like heavy (1945 2B and a Recording. But this is a great horn….
Fairweather

Post by Fairweather »

Just about to buy a 1966 48H in great condition as a successor to my well used 2b+. I like both horns, the king likes the mic and the conn likes to kick ass.
pietaune

Post by pietaune »

Hello, first time poster here. My question might have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it with a search, so I ask here.

What would be a modern equivalent to both the 6H and 48H? Of course with customisation anything is possible, but if you would have to take it from stock?

I play a 48H from the seventies in a horn section and I am happy with it, but would be interested in a more modern horn.

Martijn
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

pietaune wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am Hello, first time poster here. My question might have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it with a search, so I ask here.

What would be a modern equivalent to both the 6H and 48H? Of course with customisation anything is possible, but if you would have to take it from stock?

I play a 48H from the seventies in a horn section and I am happy with it, but would be interested in a more modern horn.

Martijn
I would think a Yamaha 897 or 697 would be as close as you will find in a stock instrument. There are also instruments in this size from Wessex Tubas. Other Chinese makes may be of variable quality.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

pietaune wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am

Martijn
To me, these models are both still relevant and you can find playable examples of both. You could step into any jazz situation with a 6h and be taken seriously.

I played my 48h on lead with a trombone choir doing baroque tunes. It behaves if you don't push it too hard.

To replace a 6h I might look to the Greenhoe GC2. Its an improvement, but i think it has enough 6h in there to share a certain feel.

Replacing the 48h, I'd probably look to a Rath R2 with a nickel silver bell.
glenp

Post by glenp »

BGuttman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:22 am I would think a Yamaha 897 or 697 would be as close as you will find in a stock instrument.
I didn’t get that vibe at all from the 897 I played. It’s been a while so I don’t recall exactly how I’d describe it, but my 6H feels drastically different. Definitely more open.

But that’s just my perception.
pietaune

Post by pietaune »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:11 am
pietaune wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am

Martijn
To me, these models are both still relevant and you can find playable examples of both. You could step into any jazz situation with a 6h and be taken seriously.

I played my 48h on lead with a trombone choir doing baroque tunes. It behaves if you don't push it too hard.

To replace a 6h I might look to the Greenhoe GC2. Its an improvement, but i think it has enough 6h in there to share a certain feel.

Replacing the 48h, I'd probably look to a Rath R2 with a nickel silver bell.
I know both models are still available in even very good shapes. But in Europe they are more difficult to find.

Thanks for the suggestions. Certainly the Yamaha and Rath are very interesting
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I feel the Yamahas are more based on the classic Kings, I’d look at the new Greenhoe GC2 models, there’s a yellow brass version based on a 6H, and a nickel bell, gold brass slide version based on a 48H.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

pietaune wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am Hello, first time poster here. My question might have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it with a search, so I ask here.

Martijn
I would say the most modern, refined equivalent would be the Greenhoe GC2 - The yellow brass version would be the 6H and the nickel version would be the 48H.

Edit: Oops! Just saw the previous comment…. :idk:

P.S. I have a GC2-Y for sale. Amazing instrument, but the Lawler 1 has a more personal sound for me.
Northernigel

Post by Northernigel »

I'm have both a 6H Victor and a 48H. Both fab to play but a very different, the 6H can cut across any big band if required. The 48H has a lighter sound, well suited to tutti ensemble playing.
I sometimes mix n' match the 48H slide with the Victor Bell, a great lead instrument

Return to “Instruments”