Bass Valve Weight

LowBrassJunkie

Bass Valve Weight

Post by LowBrassJunkie »

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much the different bass valve sets weigh? Was curious how dual hagmanns or tru-bores would compare to an axial set up, or to standard rotors, etc. Thanks!
Burgerbob

Re: Bass Valve Weight

Post by Burgerbob »

In my experience, Hagmanns and rotors will be similarly light, trubores and axials similarly heavy.

Who made them always makes a huge difference, of course... valve location, bracing, wrap all make a difference. Even the two sets of independent Trubores (normal and Bollinger) are quite different, I think the Bollinger ones are much heavier.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Yeah, weight distribution vs mass...

Hagmanns are relatively light - for the space they take, there's not much metal inside.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

ithinknot wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:44 pm Yeah, weight distribution vs mass...
Yes, forgot to mention. My Holton 185 is a bit awkward because so much of the mass is way off to the left and forward. Axial horns are usually pretty good in this regard, IMO.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Balance is more important than absolute weight. Think about why tenor trombones have a counterweight.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:12 pm In my experience, Hagmanns and rotors will be similarly light, trubores and axials similarly heavy.

Who made them always makes a huge difference, of course... valve location, bracing, wrap all make a difference. Even the two sets of independent Trubores (normal and Bollinger) are quite different, I think the Bollinger ones are much heavier.
That mostly tracks, except I think Bollinger TruBores are the same as standard ones but with less tubing, so they should actually be lighter.

However, the caps of TruBores were changed to be significantly heavier at some point, so if you're comparing an old set of standard ones with a newer set of Bollinger ones, that would be the difference you notice.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

GabrielRice wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 pm
That mostly tracks, except I think Bollinger TruBores are the same as standard ones but with less tubing, so they should actually be lighter.
The ones I played had a TON of bracing (the wraps were pretty different), I think that made the change.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:00 pm
GabrielRice wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 pm
The ones I played had a TON of bracing (the wraps were pretty different), I think that made the change.
Interesting. I've never taken a really close look at one.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

Though I've never tried them, I've read often that the Kanstul CR valves are really lightweight.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

LeoInFL wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:00 am Though I've never tried them, I've read often that the Kanstul CR valves are really lightweight.
They are. They are not made from a solid piece of brass, so there is a lot of air space inside the valve. Love mine. Sucks that Kanstul doesn't really exist anymore.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”