Questions about the Conn 32H

Oslide

Questions about the Conn 32H

Post by Oslide »

I have a 32H from 1936. A great horn - easy-blowing, with a beautiful sound. Cross-brazed bell and a very dark patina. A joy to look at, and to play!

Unfortunately the slide is not in good shape and feels like it might break apart anytime. So I think about having a new slide built, perhaps(!) slightly wider and lighter than the original.

I don't want to sacrifice the old slide for parts, though. The question then is what materials to choose in order to remain close to the original.

The leadpipe should not be a problem since Brad Close offers replicas that are praised by many on the forum. More of a concern is the tapered hand slide crook for which it will be difficult to find an adequate substitute.

BellEnd mentioned once that he took part in disassembling and investigating a 32H and that the 32H bell is actually a cut-down 8H bell. It's this kind of information that I hope to glean. Perhaps other 32H parts have also been borrowed from other Conn models? Is the tuning slide a (modified) 8H part, too? What's known about the neckpipe?

In general, I would love to learn more about the 32H's special features. Any information on construction details, or anecdotes about Jake Burkle developing this horn, would be highly appreciated!

Thank you. :hi:
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
Posaunus

Re: Questions about the Conn 32H

Post by Posaunus »

hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I would guess 6h/78h. The bell doesn't strike me as 8hish, it seems too thick, and that article suggests it's "new construction". Conn never made a 508 bore, but the 500/522 works. You. Might be tempted to put a 508 on the top, but I think that would change it too much. I would put a crook from a Yamaha 356 or an Olds Recording on it. The Recording has a similar sound /feel, but is somewhat heavier.

I've enjoyed the 32hs I've had, but I never took them out of the house to play in groups. They are great horns but just have a hard time fitting in with other instruments.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The Conn 32H is a very interesting horn. Through the years, I have seen a few players use them very effectively in big bands. When pushed, they can really have a punch. Yet, they are capable of being very sweet and mellow.

I was told many years ago that the mystique of the Burkle Models (Conn 30H and Conn 32H) was in the taper of the narrow slide crook and the (somewhat narrow) tuning slide crook. Since I like wider trombones, I never investigated buying one. I am a tinkerer......so if I did buy one, I would probably put a wider slide crook on it. Again, since the slide crook is where the mystique is, replacing the crook would be like removing the heart and soul of the 32H.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The "medium bore" Conn 30H (0.494" / 0.507" dual bore) is also a very interesting trombone.
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn30H1940image.html
I purchased mine – during the pandemic – from a seller who thought it was a 6H variant!
Needed some TLC from expert tech John Sandhagen – now it sings!

Like Hyperbolica, I have not yet played it with others in a large group.
I'm looking forward to seeing if it "blends!"
When we eventually re-start, I'll try it in a big band setting. Fingers crossed!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:14 pm The "medium bore" Conn 30H (0.494" / 0.507" dual bore) is also a very interesting trombone.
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn30H1940image.html
I purchased mine – during the pandemic – from a seller who thought it was a 6H variant!
Needed some TLC from expert tech John Sandhagen – now it sings!

Like Hyperbolica, I have not yet played it with others in a large group.
I'm looking forward to seeing if it "blends!"
When we eventually re-start, I'll try it in a big band setting. Fingers crossed!
I've owned one 30h. The slide is also narrow on that one. This has more likelihood to mix in a section, it's closer to the Olds Recording or Bach 16 bores, but has a smaller bell and narrower slide, and is probably overall a lighter horn. You can get the 30h for dirt cheap, too. I sold mine on down the line because of the slide width mainly. It had a nice sound, but smaller, obviously, than the 32h. I've always thought of the 32h as a great ballad horn if you're playing with an acoustic guitar. Or for playing maybe Rochut with a piano. But I'm not sure it would work in a section of, say, 6hs.

Will it blend? Of course it will blend :pant:
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Over the years I have owned 3 32H`s and a 30H.
My 1st 32H was by far my favorite (you always remember your 1st)
Extremely light weight (it had been overhauled before I got it) Beautiful sound and it sang in the upper range
My others were more bell solid . (Heavier metal) which gave them a darker sound
I liked them. I tried pairing them with my 78H
8" Bell on the 32H slide. I didn`t like the response and it didn`t feel right.
#2H with the wider 78H slide was awkward and clumsy

The 30H I had briefly projected like a mad man and very quick response but WAY tooooooo Bright for me
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

dukesboneman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:42 am Over the years I have owned 3 32H`s and a 30H.

The 30H I had briefly projected like a mad man and very quick response but WAY tooooooo Bright for me
This brightness and projection were probably intentional in the design. Per Derksen:
"[The 30H and 32H] models were built especially for the theatre, dance, and other large organizations, where great power and volume are paramount."
My own recently-acquired 30H is not "too bright" in my dead practice room (carpeted spare bedroom, actually). In a proper space? TBD!
As a relatively compact (and old-fashioned) person, I have no problem with the small bell and narrow slide. Tried interchanging slide & bell with other Conns - no go. Spoiled the balance of the 30H. Best to play it as Burkle designed it.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm I would guess 6h/78h. The bell doesn't strike me as 8hish, it seems too thick, and that article suggests it's "new construction".
He was probably referring to the shape, not the materials. They could have spun the 32 bells on the same mandrel as the 8. It's pretty common to make bells of different diameters on the same mandrel. The term "new construction" might refer to how the materials were formed, not necessarily that it had a new mandrel.

I don't know how you would determine it was made on the 8H mandrel, though.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Instruments”