question about vintage Holton Trombone

agershark2

question about vintage Holton Trombone

Post by agershark2 »

Hello,
My first attempt to post here. I hope this is an appropriate usage... if not, please let me know. And, my apologies, if not.

I recently purchased an antique Holton trombone at an estate sale. I'm not a trombone player, and know little about trombones, but thought is was too cool.

It is a Holton Special. Single valve. Engraving on the bell states "Holton Special / Made by / Frank Holton & Co. / Chicago".

"1897" is stamped on the lower part of the valve. At first, I assumed this was the date, but it looks like Holton didn't produce instruments until 1899? There is also a "C / 20658" stamped on the valve. "Frank Holton / Chicago / 3" is stamped on the slide. The mouthpiece is stamped "Schemmer / 23".

I can't readily find any information on a Holton with a single valve. Don't know if this is an unusual instrument, or if I just don't know where to look. If anyone has any info they can share, it would be welcome.

Thanks!
Mark
BGuttman

Re: question about vintage Holton Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Posting a couple of pictures could help.

The only thing I can think of is a trombone in C/Bb, which would have a valve that is manual (i.e. not sprung and you would just rotate it and leave it). I saw one such instrument, but I don't think it was a Holton.

Trombones in C were often referred to as "Preacher Trombones" An instrument in C allows you to read directly from a hymnal. Here is a picture of a Conn instrument:

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Check out the catalog here: https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/588 It appears Holton in Chicago did make some F attachment trombones (see endorsement from the Boston symphony trombone section), but I don't see the option in the specs or price list. Might've been a custom job?

The "3" on the slide refers to bore size, I would guess.
agershark2

Post by agershark2 »

Wasn't sure how to post pics. Will try attaching as files... and see if that works...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Looks like a 1/2 step trill valve. Commonly used by soloists.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
agershark2

Post by agershark2 »

Thanks for the info. So, this is the same function as a rotary valve I see on other trombones?

And thanks for the link to the Holton catalog, and the F attachment mention. I only see a 3-valve model pictured, although picture on the last page may be a single valve... hard to tell for sure.

Any ideas on the "1897" stamping? I assume the other stamped numbers are a serial number... but that may be a bad assumption.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I know Holon made the bass trombone (with F valve) used by Leroy Kenfield. The ones used by Hampe and Mausebach were also made by Holton, but had E attachments. These date from the early 1900s. Not sure anybody was using a bass trombone with a valve before 1900.

The trill valve was a specialty item. It usually was only used by a soloist who needed to use trills in his solos. Piston valves were occasionally used for F valves, but not commonly. The ergonomics of a piston are kinda funky. Note that the piston trill valve could not easily be converted to an F-attachment.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
agershark2

Post by agershark2 »

OK. Thank you for the replies.

Return to “Instruments”