Reynolds Medalist (made by blessing)

Hobart

Reynolds Medalist (made by blessing)

Post by Hobart »

Alrighty so funny story, I sold a trombone for $150 and got $120 and another trombone instead. The trombone in question is a Reynolds Medalist, from when it was made by Blessing. It plays alright, but I might sell it anyways. I mainly bought it because the counterweight is shaped like the letter R.

Does anybody have any more information on these trombones? I don't see much about em, and Contempora Corner came up dry on bell and bore sizes. I'm mostly curious about what kind of mouthpiece it takes; do they take the slightly larger Reynolds shank, or do they take a normal small shank?

It's ridiculously mouthpiece dependent right now, and I'm wondering if that's because of a poor horn or because it has a weird shank. My Conn 3 fits better than my Roth, but I'm not sure if Blessing did anything crazy back then. It absolutely hates normal mouthpieces for some reason, but enjoys V-cups.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
olivegreenink

Re: Reynolds Medalist (made by blessing)

Post by olivegreenink »

This is all from a long ago memory. But fwiw, I owned one of these and coincidentally settled on a Conn 3 for it. That said I don’t know the maker (Reynolds proper or Blessing) - just that it visually matched yours.

I thought it was just an ok horn and I feel like I’m pretty forgiving of horns.

I loved my FA Reynolds trumpet though.

Cheers
BGuttman

Re: Reynolds Medalist (made by blessing)

Post by BGuttman »

Jack Teagarden played a Reynolds with the R counterweight. When asked what it stood for he said "rotten". :tongue:

The Blessing stencil Reynolds are probably later instruments and I'd expect them to have a normal small shank receiver. Should work well with something like a Bach 7C.

A colleague of mine upgraded from his Reynolds to a Yamaha 354, which he likes very much.

When I was in High School (late Pre--Cambrian Era) we had a Medalist with F that I lusted after. Now I have one and it plays OK although seems to be set up for a much smaller hand than mine.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Instruments”