King 605(w/ F attachment) Tuning Slide

Matt K
Verified

King 605(w/ F attachment) Tuning Slide

Post by Matt K »

A few years ago I bought a King 605 with an F attachment to keep at my parents house when I visit. Well, I'm here now and been playing on it for a few days and really kind of like it. The tuning slide is a little dented though so I thought I might pick a new one up. Anyone know if the King 605 w/o F attachment has the same tuning slide as the F attachment version? Any techs can verify the price on one of these?
olivegreenink

Re: King 605(w/ F attachment) Tuning Slide

Post by olivegreenink »

Matt K wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 pmAnyone know if the King 605 w/o F attachment has the same tuning slide as the F attachment version?

Matt, unbelievably I can answer from first hand experience. I interchangeably use tuning slides with three bell sections: (curvy brace) Tempo, 605, and 605F. Love this horn. So fun to play.

Regarding their being “the same” - no, they’re not. The 605 is weighted and 605F is unweighted.

So incidentally, the one tuning slide I don’t use is the unweighted one from the 605F. Depending on what condition you’re looking for (unless you want it 100% new for sure) I might be willing to sell mine. If you’re interested, let me take at it for condition - as I recall it’s in pretty solid shape.

Cheers
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

olivegreenink wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:42 pm
Matt K wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 pmAnyone know if the King 605 w/o F attachment has the same tuning slide as the F attachment version?

Matt, unbelievably I can answer from first hand experience. I interchangeably use tuning slides with three bell sections: (curvy brace) Tempo, 605, and 605F. Love this horn. So fun to play.

Regarding their being “the same” - no, they’re not. The 605 is weighted and 605F is unweighted.

So incidentally, the one tuning slide I don’t use is the unweighted one from the 605F. Depending on what condition you’re looking for (unless you want it 100% new for sure) I might be willing to sell mine. If you’re interested, let me take at it for condition - as I recall it’s in pretty solid shape.

Cheers
Hah! That is an awesome coincidence. New condition definitely isn't necessary, definitely take a look and get back to me. Do appreciate!

Is your tempo bell yellow brass or nickel? I took a quick perusal of whats available used at the moment and the nickel bell ones were a little steep for me but I'm definitely going to keep them on the radar. I feel like this horn with a straight pipe & nickel bell might be combination of bell sections I've been trying to get on my Yamaha for a few years now.
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Hi there. So I need to clarify some semantics:

*I use 3 BELLS interchangeably on my Cleveland slide
*I interchangeably use my tuning slides from my 605 bell and 605F bell.

For your context it’s the same situation. But wanted to correct that the tuning slide itself is not interchangeable from the Tempo bell to Cleveland bells. My tempo is nickel and has the gorgeous 3-piece King counterweight on it. So I just now realized I’d never tried to swap that tuning slide.

My unweighted 605F tuning slide is in solid shape. I’ll shoot you a PM.

Cheers
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

olivegreenink wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 am Hi there. So I need to clarify some semantics:

*I use 3 BELLS interchangeably on my Cleveland slide
*I interchangeably use my tuning slides from my 605 bell and 605F bell.

For your context it’s the same situation. But wanted to correct that the tuning slide itself is not interchangeable from the Tempo bell to Cleveland bells. My tempo is nickel and has the gorgeous 3-piece King counterweight on it. So I just now realized I’d never tried to swap that tuning slide.

My unweighted 605F tuning slide is in solid shape. I’ll shoot you a PM.

Cheers
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I was asking this to possibly order new but looks like your part will work a-okay for me! I reached out to DJ to see if he has any nickel tempo bell sections. Would ideally just swap the slides out.

How do you like the nickel bell in comparison to the yellow belled horns? ANy gigs you'd use one over the other for?

Return to “Instruments”