R9 G tuning

LanceHandsome

R9 G tuning

Post by LanceHandsome »

After watching this video,

I remembered that my Rath R9 has some kind of extension on one of the tuning slides. Perhaps to put the second trigger in G? I've got a memory like a sieve, so I don't remember anything from seeing it demonstrated. Anyone have an owner's manual for the horn?
ithinknot

Re: R9 G tuning

Post by ithinknot »

Pretty sure the standard more-or-less-full-width wraps and bracing (Hagmann and Rotax) couldn't be cut all the way to G, but it could be flat G/Bollinger. (Or they can do a narrow G wrap that looks like this.)

Take the extension off and see what pitch you get!
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

My 2009 R9 did not come with an extension, just standard Bb/F/Gb/D tuning. A check of the Rath site shows " a Bb/F/G/Eb" is an available option. As accommodating as these folks are, I'm sure they would be happy to produce whatever setup you want.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

When I got my Kanstul, I asked them to make the 2nd valve in G, and Zig said they couldn't do it I guess because it wouldn't leave enough straight pipe for a tuning slide.

That video is pretty convincing. G and D in 1st would be very helpful. B in 6th isn't really that tough. C in long 5th instead of 4th is kind of a stretch.
LanceHandsome

Post by LanceHandsome »

Thanks for the replies. I play tenor in a local band and only broke out the bass when the tenor was in the shop, so not like I'll be playing "The Creation" any time soon. But DPP speak, me listen!

Now that I think of it, could the extension be to put the first trigger in Eb?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 am When I got my Kanstul, I asked them to make the 2nd valve in G, and Zig said they couldn't do it I guess because it wouldn't leave enough straight pipe for a tuning slide.

That video is pretty convincing. G and D in 1st would be very helpful. B in 6th isn't really that tough. C in long 5th instead of 4th is kind of a stretch.
The way that Kanstul was wrapped probably made it too wide. G is not much tubing to play with, has to be pretty narrow.
LanceHandsome wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:11 pm Now that I think of it, could the extension be to put the first trigger in Eb?
It would be really, really long. If you put it in and snap a picture, someone can probably help figure it out though.

Return to “Instruments”