Shires Marshall Gilkes

Fidbone

Re: Shires Marshall Gilkes

Post by Fidbone »

Just to add to this thread, I've now had my Shires MG trombone and MG mouthpiece plus original lead pipe since June and am loving this set-up. Giving it time to adjust to goes a long way to the success and happiness of any combination. This trombone won't make you play like Marshall but the combination really does work and to be honest I trust his judgement over most ;)
Trevorspaulding376

Post by Trevorspaulding376 »

Would love a comparison to the new greenhoe trombone , both seem to more closely after the 6h base and built up from there
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

With Steve long gone who designs trombones at SE Shires??
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Have they really "designed" anything new since then? The twin rotor single rotor? AFAIK the artist models that have come out are not crazy innovative.

Aren't they just seeing what they can do with the awesome part designs from Steve?
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I had a chance to play the Gilkes model today.
Now I`m a Bach player and have some incredible horns
But The Marshall Gilkes Model blew me away.
The sound was dark and different. by different I mean because of the screw Bell
The horn vibrated differently (to me) and the sound was more out front
Easy upper range , great slide. too bad it`s a small fortune
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Have you tried the XO 1632 (.500) or the 1634 (.508)? I have played the Gilkes model back to back with both XO horns, and I preferred the XO models. The price point is mulch better, too. I have an endorsement with XO, but I wouldn’t be playing them if I didn’t think they were the best. But each to his own…
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

I've played and owned the Fedchock 1632, it was a great horn if you like King 2B+ style horns (light).
Easy to play but lacked the depth of sound and power I required. I sold it on.
I have replaced it with the Shires MG which I have been playing for 7 months now and prefer the versatility ..... I am not a Shires artist :wink:
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

To each his own. I play what I like best as I’m sure others do, too.
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Beanett

Post by Beanett »

Nobbi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:16 am I wish they would offer different flares for the Shires MG as well as Roy Lawler does. The Lawlers are infinitely tunable ... flares (material and size), lead pipes, even mouthpieces if you like. Incredible possibilities!
Nobbi
I just recently talked to the people at BAC instruments and they were able to make a custom flare for my Shires MG model. They had to call and order the ring direct from Shires, but it works fantastic!!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Finally got a chance to play a Gilkes horn yesterday, it had a nice weighty feel and good depth of sound, but I wouldn’t be rushing to play it over my MD+, I feel the MD+ can be a little darker and more open, but also light up a little more easily when you push the gas. The Gilkes mouthpiece is interesting too, super deep and a nice mellow round sound at lower volumes, but I found it harder work to push and brighten up in the upper range compared to the better 6.5a/7c/11c type pieces. The MD+ mouthpiece is worth a look for those looking around the ‘big 7c/11c’ size.

Return to “Instruments”