Advice on selling XO 1632

herrerabone

Advice on selling XO 1632

Post by herrerabone »

Hi all. I'm looking to sell my Jupiter XO 1632RGL-LT. Does anyone have advice as to how I should go about valuing/selling it? I haven't sold a trombone before so I'd greatly appreciate any advice y'all have. It's in perfect condition aside from slight lacquer wear and recently got the slide realigned; they're usually $2,450 new, would $1,200 be a fair valuation? Should I try to sell it in one of the trombone facebook groups? Thanks!
walldaja

Re: Advice on selling XO 1632

Post by walldaja »

I would spend some time on Ebay and Reverb trying to get a feel for what a used 1632 goes for. Can't sell for more than the market is willing to pay.

Would recommend Reverb and / or trombonechat. For those you'd need some good pictures of the horn.

Don't forget about packing and shipping charges that may eat into your presumed profits.

I personally like Reverb for handing the payment verification. I've only bought on Ebay so I have no sense of selling on that site.

Another way would be to sell on consignment with a reputable firm, are you close to Dillons in NJ? Then there is Josh Landress' place in NYC.

Best wishes!
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Consignment, classifieds here, Facebook, Reverb, eBay gets more traffic but you'll want to add a decent amount to cover their fees.

You won't get $1200. Quinn's got several new/ex-demo on eBay around $1500 and several hundred less when he lists them as timed auctions; a couple have gone through the classifieds here around $700.

Be cautious about how you take payment, ship with a foam or tightly rolled cardboard cone in the bell - the main risk is flare creases if the instrument can shift at all inside the case - and make sure the slide tenon can't come loose and chew up the bell. Research shipping in advance - costs vary wildly, and different companies have different thresholds for 'oversize' packages. In general, outside dimensions will matter and weight won't, as most charge based on 'volumetric weight' which will always exceed the real weight of a cased trombone.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

These don’t really retain their value, unfortunately. I paid $1k for the one I had, and sold it for $800.

If you’re patient, you might get more for it.

It’s a really good, well-built modern horn, but it’s not my flavor. I have to have a little more “funk” in the sound.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Why do you want to sell it?
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Instruments”