First Bass Trombone Help

patrickallred

First Bass Trombone Help

Post by patrickallred »

Hi, everyone! I'd love some guidance on my first bass trombone (tenor player looking to have some fun with bass trombone in recording and possibly playing with an orchestra/big band, etc...). I'm by no means a professional musician but play everywhere that my schedule will allow with the hopes of always getting better.

I've got some good leads on a JP333 and an XO 1240L (purely from a cost perspective, not looking to break the bank but have read enough reviews to know these are good horns for the used price that I'm getting them). Is one better than the other or is this a splitting hairs situation? I seem to be leaning towards the JP333 but I think I'm just drawn by the name "Rath" (even if he was just a collaborator/designer).

I'd appreciate any guidance here! Thanks!
deanmccarty

Re: First Bass Trombone Help

Post by deanmccarty »

I would go with the XO... it’s a solid horn with a great sound. I would get it with rotors instead of axial flow valves... less maintenance. I haven’t tried the JPRath bass, but I have tried the large, medium, small, and alto bones. I own the alto and the small bore (as a backup)... they have their good points and bad points... the alto and .500 bore are fine instruments... I have no issues with them... I am especially pleased with the alto. The medium and large bore instruments are another story. I purchased 7 of these for my school... within 2 years the rotors were completely frozen... unusable... I would venture to say the bass would have the same issues... I owned an XO large tenor and it was a very good instrument... I actually preferred it to my Shires at the time. I never had one problem with anything on the horn.

FYI... I now play Rath trombones... they are the best instruments I have ever played... with that said... JPRath is NOT Rath... the small bore horns are good... I’m not overly pleased with the medium and large bores.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

If you can, play both horns and see which one sounds and feels better. If you are planning on multi track recording using your current tenor and the "new" bass, you might want to consider if/how both horns will blend.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

XO Brass 1240L is a superb instrument. I play an XO Brass 1240RL. I can say, hands down, it's the best bass trombone I have ever played. Check my website and you can see my credentials to issue such a broad statement. Also, in full disclosure, I an endorsed by XO Brass as an artist. I play the XO horns because they are fantaastic!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Instruments”